2 tablespoons olive oil
2 large onions, sliced
1 teaspoon each coriander seed, cumin�seed and mustard seed
1 cup red wine or cider vinegar
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 head garlic cloves, peeled
� cup capers with brine
� cup hot sauce
� teaspoon each paprika, ground cinnamon, ground allspice, ground black�pepper and ground cardamom
7 pounds paste tomatoes, chopped�(peeling is optional)salt to taste
Heat onions in oil until blackened. Toast coriander, cumin and mustard seeds in an iron skillet until fragrant, about 2 or 3 minutes.

Grind to a powder. Put all ingredients in a large, nonreactive stockpot. Simmer, uncovered, over low heat for about 3 hours. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking. When thick, puree the mixture. Return ketchup to the pot and bring to a simmer. You may cook it longer if it is not thick enough.

Ladle hot ketchup into clean, hot canning jars, leaving 1 inch head space. Adjust the lids and process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes. Recipe adapted from�Fine Cooking.

Read more: http://www.motherearthnews.com/organic-gardening/home-food-preservation-zm0z01zsie.aspx?page=4#ixzz25SXRfAtQ

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mother earth Ketchup recipe

The source for the recipe "Recipe adapted from Fine Cooking."

So what is the appeal vs. using the approved and tested one instead of one that is from a cooking magazine, contains oil, and marked "adapted"? The capers?

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Recipe

o

I looked up the original recipe in Fine Cooking. That recipe called for canned tomatoes and paste and was refrigerated, which seems like the appropriate choice.

I have no idea what Louise Langsner's canning qualifications are or how she determined that recipe could be processed.

Carol

o

I would not use the oil, and from my experience you will not get a true ketchup from chopped tomatoes. You must first use a food mill to remove the seeds. Good ol' American ketchup takes a long time to make and uses more sugar and much less garlic than this recipe, as well.

Rather than struggling to make industrial ketchup, I make an assortment of chutneys (spicy-sweet relishes) that work as ketchup alternatives at the table. I've also found that including a little applesauce in a tomato chutney gives it a thick, ketchup-like consistency.

o

Freeze it Kerry. Don't can it.

Any "adapted" canning recipe means it most likely has never been lab tested and any canning recipe from a source with a cooking focus is always suspect at least.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here