Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rdback

Vine Peach Recipe anyone?

rdback
16 years ago

Hi Folks. - We received a package of Vine Peach seeds free from Burgess Seed Company and decided to plant them just for fun and to see if they'd grow. Well, they grew VERY well, the fruits are maturing and we have NO idea what to do with them LOL! We've read they make great jam or preserves but can't find a recipe. Any ideas are always appreciated.

TIA - Rd

Comments (12)

• lisacdm
    16 years ago

I looked this up and found that it is part of the melon family: Cucumis melo var. chito
    aka: dudaim melon, garden-lemon, mango melon, melon-apple, orange melon, pomegranate melon, stink melon, vegetable-orange, vine peach.
    Can't find any specific recipes, but I did read it was good for jams, jelly, marmalade and pie.
    What do they taste like?

• rdback
    Original Author
    16 years ago

"What do they taste like?"

Well, it's kinda hard to describe. They have a light colored flesh, kinda like a white peach but a texture more like a cantelope, but neither of these flavors exist. There is NO sweetness, but more of a citricy (sp?) taste - kinda like someone took a lime and rubbed it on to the point of being on the borderline of sour. It's not unpleasant though, just really strange LOL!

"...but I did read it was good for jams, jelly, marmalade and pie."

Well, if we ever find a recipe, I bet there's tons of sugar in it!!!

Thanks for the response.

Rd

• lisacdm
    16 years ago

Sounds interesting, I never heard of it before (you learn something new every day).
    You're right, any recipe would probably contain a lot of sugar.
    I also found this:
    The fruits can be used as a cooling light cleanser or moisturiser for the skin. They are also used as a first aid treatment for burns and abrasions.

• zemmaj
    16 years ago

"This variety was very popular in Victorian times for making sweet pickles, pies and preserves. They were developed in China and introduced into America in the 1880's. In the Orient this type of melon is pickled. "

that is what one grower has for info on their site, I don't have the joy of pickling or something like that with me at home, but I would be curious to see if maybe there is not a recipe in it for this, anyone with the book close by?

Marie

• mellyofthesouth
    16 years ago

There aren't any recipes for vine-peach in the joy of pickling, but you could try this one:

Pickled Cantaloupe Chunks
    from the Joy of Pickling
    This recipe if a good use for cantaloupes or muskmelons that crack before they are ripe. The flesh should be orange and sweet but still crisp as a cucumber. If the melon is cracked, use it immediately.

2 cups cider vinegar
    1 cup water
    two 3 inch cinnamon sticks
    1 tablespoon whole cloves
    3 cups sugar
    9 cups underripe cantaloupe or muskmelon cubes, each about 3/4 inch

In a non-reactive saucepan, combine the vinegar and water. Add the spices tied in a spice bag or scrap of cheesecloth. Bring contents to a boil. Put the cantaloupe or muskmelon cubes into a bowl and pour the vinegar mixture over them. Push the spice bag down between the melon cubes. Let the bowl stand 2 to 8 hours, turning the melon cubes occasionally.

Drain the liquid into a nonreactive pan, add the spice bag and bring the mixture to a boil. Add the sugar, and stir until it dissolves. Add the melon cubes. Simmer them, uncovered, until they are translucent around the edges, about 1 hour.

Remove the spice bag. With a slotted spoon, divide the melon cubes among pint canning jars. Pour the hot syrup over the melon cubes, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Close the jars with hot two-piece caps. Process the jars for 10 minutes in a bwb.

• rdback
    Original Author
    16 years ago

"The fruits can be used as a cooling light cleanser or moisturiser for the skin. They are also used as a first aid treatment for burns and abrasions."

What the heck did we grow and do we really want to eat it LOL!!!

mellyofthesouth, Thanks for the recipe. We were hoping to find a jam/jelly/marmalade type recipe, but the Pickled Chunks are an option. Thank you for posting the recipe.

The only other reference we see frequently is the taste is compared to Mango. Sorry to say, I've never eaten fresh Mango, but I always assumed they were sweet. Again, this "peach" is not sweet, tart is what comes to mind. Are Mangoes sweet? Do ya'll think we could use a Mango recipe and substitute?

Just grasping for straws.

Thanks again - ya'll are the best.

Rd

• mellyofthesouth
    16 years ago

I think that melons are not acidic enough on their own, so I would be careful. I found this recipe online. The pineapple would add acidity. Although, I can't vouch for its safety.

Cantaloupe Jam

4 cups crushed or diced ripe cantaloupe
    2 cups crushed pineapple
    5 cups sugar (or 6 if you want it sweeter)
    1 tsp. butter

Mix all ingredients in large pan. Rub rim of pan with butter (to keep from boiling over). Stir and bring to a boil. Boil until it's as thick as you like. Process in water bath for 10 minutes, or refrigerate.

You could also look at this thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: cantaloupe thread

• mellyofthesouth
    16 years ago

This one is safe as it comes from the NCHFP, and is sweet. Do you think your melons are similar to watermelon rind, since it isn't sweet?

Here is a link that might be useful: watermelon rind preserves

• mindydye
    14 years ago

i also recieved a pack of seeds i have lots of fruit on my plants does anyone know how to tell when they are ripe?

• irishtempr_roadrunner_com
    13 years ago

My mother-in-law uses these as an extra, as they take on whatever they are mixed with. She makes freezer jam with roma tomatoes and jello, and vine peachs can subsitite the roma's. I like the black raspberry freezer jam, made with the vine peaches and jello powder.

• HU-363895
    3 years ago

I have used them in asian cooking/stirfry. They add a little "xtra" that is tadty and unique without being over powering

• HU-342961236
    2 years ago

Inspired by the above, I peeled one, sliced it in half, scooped out the seeds, put some slices in center (not all the way through), added ice cream and a few sweet blueberries. It was surprisingly good! The fruit texture is nice, and adds a little flavor. I would eat that for dessert!

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm