Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heavens123

Anyone have a recipe for Lemonade Concentrate using Honey

heavens123
9 years ago

Last year I made some terrific lemonade concentrate in pint jars using honey only as a sweetener. That's how I would make it fresh but it was wonderful having the concentrate -- just add water and it was ready to go. I found that recipe on the internet, but an wondering if anyone has a tested recipe for such?

Comments (4)

• malna
    9 years ago

No tested recipe to offer, but I don't see why you couldn't can it.

A couple of "experiences":

Thrice upon a time, I made the strawberry-lemonade concentrate from Ball sans strawberries since I didn't have any and they weren't in season. But I did have a huge box of lemons from my folks in Florida.

Lesson in Stupidity #1 - don't boil it (I didn't really READ the directions). Only bring it up to about 165 degrees before canning. One sip and I dumped that batch down the drain (I have hard water so it cleaned the drain at the same time :-)

Lesson in Stupidity #2 - don't get any white pith in there, so in other words, don't use a juicer - ream them by hand which is a total PITA and strain, strain, strain to get as much pulp out as you can. The pith (the pulp and rind, too in my opinion) turns horribly bitter after canning. Tasted it and dumped that batch down the drain.

Finally got smart and froze the third batch. Came out much fresher tasting. I figured there's probably a good reason why lemonade, limeade and orange juice concentrates from the grocery store are frozen and not in a "can" :-)

• heavens123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Freezer space is very dear, which is one of the reason I learned to can way back when. I made the lemonade last year from lemons and honey and that's it. I had cut them in half and put them on an electric reamer and it came out great. The honey gets kind of gelatinous in the jar and it looks kind of gross, but then you pour it into a pitcher, add cold water and it was the best lemonade ever. I've only started questioning it after reading here of recipes that are unsafe.

• malna
    9 years ago

Yeah, it would be perfectly safe to can it. Again, the flavor might change from the heat processing, but give it a try. An electric reamer sounds like a GREAT thing to have to do this. I have one of those old glass ones that was probably my grandmother's. It's fine for one or two lemons, but doing a dozen or more gets old really fast :-)

• heavens123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I got lucky to day and found an entire case of grown in USA limes, 40 pounds, at a great price. An electric reamer will come in handy. It goes quite quickly if you put some music on and just keep going. Last year I made this recipe with lemons and honey and it was wonderful all winter long. All 20 pints got used!

Here's the recipe with the compact directions. Is it safe and can I use it with limes? I got it from a website called "Homestead Anywhere", which is why I am asking.
    --------------
    4 c fresh squeezed lemon juice, most of the pulp and seeds removed
    2 c light agave or honey or 3 c organic cane sugar

Bring juice and sweetener of choice to just under a boil.
    Fill sterilized jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Place Lids and rings on.
    Process 15 minutes.

Anyone else have any other recipes using lots of lime for canning without using sugar? I have no room in the freezer.