Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
"keep for 1 month to mature"

Posted by Han123 ONTARIO (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 3, 12 at 21:24

I have a chutnet recipe that instructs to can (no BWB)and keep for 1 month before eating.

Now, as there is no BWB I am realy not sure if this a viable recipie or not. No it is not from one of the reconised vaildated sites (I know you are rolling your eyes and shaking your head), I am only asking about this one as my mother has made it for the last 20 years and it is an old recipie from a trusted British cook (1990 original, republished 2006).

Ingrediants
14oz (400g) no-soak appricots chopped
1 teason whole coriander seeds toasted and ground
8oz (225g) light brown sugar
15 fl oz (425ml) cider vinegar
1 medium onion chopped
2oz (50g) sultanas
2 Tbsp finley ground fresh ginger root
2 cloves garlic minced
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp caynne pepper
zest and juice one small orange

Add all ingredients together. heat and stir until sugar disolved. Simmer for 45 mins-1hr. Spoon into warm steralised jars and seal straight away.

Best kept fpr 1 month before eating.

I am sure you are all going to say not, don't do it. So if that is your answer, how long would you expext this to keep in the fridge.

Thanks
Hannah

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: "keep for 1 month to mature"

Like the long "safe chutney?" discussion from last week it is a do at your own risk recipe - your choice.

Does the book or Mom give any idea how long it would store? Not a recipe most of us would use so no personal experience to know storage length. Flora will likely be by and she would know better. It is well acidified so should be good for the standard 3 months anyway.

Dave

o
RE: "keep for 1 month to mature"

With a decent amount of vinegar and the onion, ginger (minimal amount) and garlic (also minimal) thoroughly cooked with a good amount of vinegar, I don't see this as a recipe to worry about.

The bulk of the recipe is high-acid and if you cooked the onions, ginger and garlic in the vinegar first for 5-10 minutes, then added the fruits, sugar and spices for the remaining time, I just don't see much of a problem.

I would guess at least the three months Dave mentioned, but I'm betting six months to a year wouldn't be out of line in a refrigerator.

The nice thing about that chutney is with dried apricots, golden raisins, orange and onion, it's something that can be made any time of the year, so stocking up in large amounts isn't necessary. For that reason, I wouldn't bother to can it anyway.

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here