Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katrina5_gw

Green tomato salsa recipe - is this safe?

katrina5
14 years ago

I am searching for a green tomato salsa or any other way to use up a ton of green tomatos since we are calling for an early frost soon. I found the following recipes but am wondering if they are safe?

Recipe:

8 cups chopped green tomatoes

2 cups chopped onions

4 cups sweet peppers (green, bananas, etc.)

2 cups chopped jalapenos

5 tsp. canning salt

6 Tblsp. sugar

3 cups apple cider vinegar

7 cloves of garlic minced

BWB 35 minutes

OR

Ingredients

8 lbs green tomatoes (approximately 16 cups chopped)

6 large onions

6 green peppers

3 sweet red peppers

3  6 jalapeño peppers (depending on taste)

6 garlic cloves, minced

1 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped

½ cup salt

½ tablespoon black pepper

Cayenne pepper to taste (about 1/8 tsp)

3 cups vinegar

1 cup lemon juice

Method

Coarsely chop tomatoes, onions, and peppers

Combine all ingredients in a large kettle and mix well

Heat to boiling, then simmer uncovered for 25 minutes, stirring frequently

Ladle mixture into hot pint or quart jars, filling to within ¼ inch from top

Wipe jar rims with damp cloth or sponge

Adjust lids

Process in hot-water bath or steam canner: 15 minutes for quarts; 10 minutes for pints (start timer after jars have been placed in canner and water in canner has returned to boiling)

When processing is complete, remove jars from canner and allow them to cool to room temperature. Check seals. Label sealed jars and store in pantry

Jars that donÂt seal can be placed in refrigerator (use within three weeks) or immediately reprocessed with new lids

Makes about 3 quarts (6 pints)

Comments (8)

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

Are they from reliable sources? They both contain plenty of acid to make them safe but I'd stick with pints, not quarts. Quarts aren't generally recommend for salsa processing and the processing time in the second recipe sounds way too short to me (plus it suggests steam canning which doesn't fly with the safety folks).

But you know you can actually use any tested and approved salsa recipe in the BBB or from one of the many at NCHFP and just sub green tomatoes for red with no safety issues.
    Don't know off hand if anyone has made Annie's Salsa using green tomatoes but it would be another safe one to consider.

If I had to choose between the 2 you posted, I'd stick with the first one I think. JMO

Dave

PS: if you want other green tomato recipes there has been several discussions lately here on using them - relishes and such. Just search 'green tomatoes' for more ideas.

• ccaggiano
    14 years ago

I've never tried a green tomato salsa. Is it any good?

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

A SIMPLLE SEARCH HERE yields the following info.. Suggest that if your doing a search that you do one within this forum, as it will show a lot of useful info.

Here is a link that might be useful: Green Tom salsa search results

• katrina5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Greendirt - I wasn't sure if I could substitute green for red in Annies salsa, I think I may try that. Thank you for your help.

KSRogers - No need to type in caps. It is a simple question in a forum. I did do a search on this forum but I didn't see what I was looking for which is why I asked. Many of the answers come back with the word green in them, that is usually talking about green peppers. I apologize for asking on your forum. I was a bit worried that I would get a response such as this.

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

Greendirt - I wasn't sure if I could substitute green for red in Annies salsa, I think I may try that. Thank you for your help.

Yes I don't know how it would taste but then I'm not a big fan of green tomatoes - except fried. But Annie's Salsa is so good that I doubt the green tomatoes could hurt it any. Let us know how it turns out for future reference. :)

Dave

• readinglady
    14 years ago

Another option would be to sub green tomatoes for tomatillos. For instance, there's an intriguing Tomatillo Salsa on p. 82 of the Ball Blue Book you might want to take a look at.

It calls for 2 pounds tomatillos (i.e. green tomatoes), onion, green chili peppers, garlic, cilantro, cumin, salt, red pepper and a blend of vinegar and lime juice.

This is a small-batch recipe (2 pints) but that can be a benefit when you're trying something new.

Carol

• Linda_Lou
    14 years ago

Canning salsa in quarts is not safe to do. The heat will not penetrate the salsa enough to insure all contents are hot enough to destroy spoilage microorganisms.Same for a steam canner, they only heat the jars with steam so the jars don't conduct the heat like a boiling water bath canner will. The contents get hotter in a boiling water bath canner. There are no safe processing times for a steam canner. Now, if they had said to use a steam pressure canner, that would be different, but I only see steam canner listed.
    Vinegar is not used in the NCHFP recipe, just bottled lemon juice. The bottled lemon juice is 2 times as acidic as 5 % acidity vinegar. I can assure the recipe in the link below is safe to use.
    I highly recommend the NCHFP recipe. I use it all the time with regular green tomatoes. Makes a wonderful salsa for burritos.

Here is a link that might be useful: Safe green tomato /tomatillo salsa recipe.

• jcpyburn
    14 years ago

Here is the recipe I used out of the Ball Complete book of home preserving. It is VERY good and very safe!!

Salsa Verde

Makes about six 8-oz jars or 3 pint jars

7 cups chopped, cored, peeled green tomatoes
    5 to 10 jalapeno, habanero or scotch bonnet peppers, seeded and finely chopped
    2 cups finely chopped red onions
    2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    1/2 cup lime juice
    1/2 cup loosely packed finely chopped cilantro
    2 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp dried oregano
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp freshly ground black pepper

In a large stainless steel saucepan, combine tomatoes, peppers, onions, garlic and lime juice. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in cilantro, cumin, oregano, salt and black pepper. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Ladle hot salsa into hot jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot salsa. Process both sizes in a BWB for 20 minutes(adjusted for altitude.

We love this stuff and it also works for a good enchilada sauce!

You could also make chow-chow or piccalilli with your green tomatoes. I know there have been some good safe recipes posted on here and also on the NCHFP.

HTH

Carly