Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Has this ever happened to you? - BWB

Posted by ajsmama (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 21, 11 at 21:35

Not a good day for jelly-making. I had a quart of grape juice (strained, even though I'm not finding tartar crystals), a quart of apple-grape (from cooking the grape jelly bag with apples later, per Farm journal Wild Grape Jelly recipe), and 3 C of apple pectin. Mixed all together (have a quart left) and did 2 batches of jelly. But one ring came totally off in the BWB the last 30 secs, lid floating around! Let it cool the 5 min, pulled the jars out, dumped that jar in with another 3C of juice for 2nd batch, emptied the BWB, did the 2nd batch (so only 7 jars total), went to dr, came home and found when I removed rings from 1st 3 jars that 2 looked like water (1/4" pretty clear - not weeping) on top even though they sealed. But they were jelled. So I just poured the liquid off, warmed the lids, warmed the jars (didn't dump the contents, I know, but couldn't see breaking the gel), processed 5 min with 5 min cooldown. Gotta keep an eye of those 2 jars (marked).

Maybe I didn't tighten the ring enough on the 1 jar, but not sure why I got water (? Or some separation?) on the tops of the other 2 jars that same batch. 4th jar looks fine. Plenty of headspace, wiped the rims. Made the same recipe (maybe more apples to grape ratio) last week and no problems. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Has this ever happened to you? - BWB

I have not totally lost a ring, just had them loose.
Sounds like weeping to me from too much acid in the jelly.
That is what happens, you get a watery looking liquid on top of the jelly and sometimes down the sides, too.

o
RE: Has this ever happened to you? - BWB

I've had some weep (the blueberry-black currant from the bottled juice) after they set up, esp. after opening and putting in the fridge. Some rings seem to loosen in the canner or maybe when I was lifting them out, but this is the first time I've *ever* had one come off!

The liquid on top was very clear and the grape jelly was set, the clear liquid on the sealed jars pretty much totally filled the headspace which is why I'm thinking it was water?

Then again this batch was more grapes, fewer apples, and the apples were really tart. I'm going to have to see if the others are weeping - wouldn't there be some in all of them if that was it?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here