Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardengalrn

Kraut question #9999 :)

gardengalrn
9 years ago

I put up 6 quarts of cabbage to work for kraut about 4 weeks ago. I did them according to BJ's method, in quart jars, 1 TB salt and boiling water. I did 3 jars of red cabbage out of my garden and 3 jars of white from the grocery store, all in the same day. The purple is done, perfect. Smells delicious (if you like kraut, LOL) and I've been eating it right out of the jar. Probably the best kraut I've made so far. The white...a different story. No scum or cloudiness but I know it "worked" at least for a bit because when I checked on the jars, all had bubbles, etc. It doesn't have a foul odor (as far as fermenting cabbage goes) but just not kraut-like. I tasted it and it was just off. A flat smell/taste and not good. I know this is all so highly subjective but those jars aren't something I would take the time to put up nor feed my family. I wondered if grocery cabbages are treated with any type of preservative that would hinder the process? I don't see any more bubbles so not sure it's worth my time to let them go for more time? Maybe I let it go too long? It has been cool in the room they were in, we've been running the air con. Any thoughts on this? Lori

Comments (3)