Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ginger Jam or Marmalade

Posted by irenecalgary (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 8, 12 at 21:54

I would like to make a strong ginger marmalade. I thought I'd use ginger root as well as chopped candied ginger. Does anyone have a recipe? I checked the web and the recipe forum to no avail.

I had thought to steep grated ginger in apple juice and then strain it out before adding the candied ginger and cooking. So make an apple jelly with the ginger flavour and the texture provided by the candied ginger. Any comments are welcome?

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ginger Jam or Marmalade

I make a Zucchini marmalade that has a good dose of grated ginger AND crystalline ginger in it...but it has pineapple in it...so it is probably not what your looking for. If you want it I can give it to you. It is pretty.

o

This is wife's favorite I pulled from her recipe file. I can't see where she got it from and she isn't home right now to ask.

6 Seville oranges (or other thin-skinned orange)
2 lemons, juiced
8 cups water
8 ounces crystallized ginger, chopped
1 teaspoon ground ginger
4 pounds sugar

DIRECTIONS:
Remove orange zest and slice into fine slivers; remove pith. Halve oranges and lemons, remove seeds and squeeze the juice into a large bowl. Tie the seeds and put in a cheesecloth bag. Chop the oranges and put them and the bag in the bowl. Add the water, cover and leave for 24 hours.

Put the contents of the bowl into a large preserving pan; bring to a boil, then simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Remove the cheesecloth bag; add both gingers and sugar. Stir well; bring back to a boil and boil briskly for 10 minutes.

Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes. Stir well again, then pour into hot, sterilized jars; seal and process in boiling water bath for 5 minutes.

Dave

o

I have made the Ginger Marmalade from Helen Witty's Fancy Pantry. It uses only fresh ginger so if you are looking for a combination of candied and fresh, this isn't it. But it is really, really good. (It does require liquid pectin.)

Ginger marmalade

1 - 1 1/2 lbs fresh ginger
6 cups water
4 cuos sugar
1/2 cup lemon juice
pinch of salt
1 pouch liquid pectin

1. Peel ginger and grate. Do not use the center layer if it is very fibrous. She notes you can use the core to make Ginger Jelly - I have not tried that but do have the recipe if anyone wants it.) You need about 1 1/3 cups of grated ginger. The amount you get will depend on the age of the ginger.
2. Combine the grated ginger and 1 quart of water in a large pan, bring to the boil and boil 5 minutes. Drain, add fresh cold water and repeat 2 more times. Drain.
3. Combine grated ginger with 6 cups of water, bring to a boil, cover, lower heat and simmer until shreds are very tender and almost translucent, about 1 - 1 1/4 hour. Remove from heat.
4. Measure ginger and liquid. If there is more than3 cups spoon of surplus liquid. (She recommends mixing the extra liquid with sugar and club soda for "a pleasant refreshment while you make the marmalade." (I love Helen Witty)
5. Combine the measured ginger and liquid, the sugar, lemon juice and salt in a large pan. Bring to a hard boil, boil 1 minute, stir in the liquid pectin, return to a full rolling boil, boil 1 minute and remove from heat.
6. Let sit for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Ladle into clean, hot half pint jars, Seal with lids and bands, process 15 minutes in a boiling water bath.

I also have a recipe for Peach Ginger Marmalade (from an old NY Times magazine article) that is my absolute favorite jam. It uses only candied ginger however so I don't think it is what you are looking for.

Elaina

o

Re: above Ginger Marmalade recipe - I forgot to say it makes about 5 -6 half pint jars.

Elaina

o

thank you all for the suggestions. Elaina - I think I tried this recipe a few years ago, or some form of it. I ended up with soup. I'm wiser now in the ways of jam so will give it a try. And pectin is fine because unless I use apple juice, something has to thicken it. See above soup remark. Also, when one googles Ginger Marmalade, Helen Witty's recipe is just about the only one that comes up.

Irene

I'll give it a try in the next few days.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here