Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heavens123

"Canning for a New Generation" book

heavens123
9 years ago

Someone at my office gave this to me, Canning for a New Generation by Liana Krissoff. Nice book with some great pictures and interesting recipes I'd like to try.

Inside the front cover is a disclaimer. Have you ever seen this in a canning book before? Does this count as "tested"? Obviously, it's a warning to follow the recipes exactly, which you should do anyway, and it's amazing how many people I read about on the internet just making things up. So I get the warning but what do you think? Disclaimer below:

"The recipes in this book have been developed and tested in a home kitchen. Canning and preserving, as is true of any other kind of cooking, carry risks. Please follow the recipes and instructions carefully, and if there is any confusion about the ingredients or the process, please consult an up-to-date U.S. government source for clarification. The author and publisher assume no responsibility for damages associted with the use of this book."

Comments (4)

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    9 years ago

"tested in a home kitchen" should tell you from common sense not to use ANY THING they say. The disclaimers should be evidence they already know they have no credentials to even publish this garbage. Sounds like someone trying to gamble and make money praying on the uninformed and innocent. This is a shameful grab at money!

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

That's a little harsh. It's no worse than W-S or Blue Chair or any other book out there. Everybody's out to make money. Yes, the author/publisher took lawyers' advice and put disclaimer in. I'd do the same thing if I didn't have tons of money for testing.

But that book has been reviewed here, the recipes look like variations on approved recipes, all high-acid and safe for BWBing. Whether it's worth the price when you can find those recipes at NCHFP website is your call.

This thread lists books some of us have found to be the ones we want to spend the money/shelf space on:

Here is a link that might be useful: Recent thread on canning books

• malna
    9 years ago

I read through it in the library. The recipes are all high-acid and fine to BWB. She did include recipes using the canned goods, which I thought was a nice touch.

The canning recipes themselves were somewhat interesting and a little different but, since I have a zillion other canning books, there wasn't anything unique enough to make me want to add it to my collection. But that's just me - amazon reviewers liked the content.

As ajsmama said, the lawyers advised them to put in the disclaimer, but I wouldn't read anything more into that other than a typical CYA move.

Since you have it and it was free (nice gift!), use it without worrying about safety and have fun.

• heavens123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great, thanks for all the info. I've done lots and lots of
    BWB canning, but always the basic same things, or just one ingredient items so am not able to look at a recipe and know if it's a variation on something else or not.

I'll go ahead and enjoy this book then and check out the thread on the other recommended books. I'd like to branch out and try some new things now. I've borrowed several books at the library and photocopied recipes I liked because since I can't have sugar and don't like pickled things, there are usually only one or two per book that I can use.

I was very excited about the "Putting It Up With Honey" book because I could use every single recipe in it. I'm going to write to the company publishing it and ask about the testing. And maybe when I get ready to try a recipe from there, I'll post her first for your kind review.