Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carlam71

My canned hot peppers???

carlam71
16 years ago

I have already made these...but some peeps on here have me paranoid so I want to see what you all think.

The day before I can, I soak my peppers in canning salt to get the water out. (Hungarian Wax)

Brine is:

6c vinegar

2c water

In the hot jars I put the peppers in with a bit of oregano and garlic and a TBS of canola oil. Then I process BWB for 10 mins...is this amount of oil unsafe as well?

Comments (7)

• carlam71
    Original Author
    16 years ago

These are pint jars.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    16 years ago

I just do a vinegar/water mixture in half gallon jars kept in the frigde and add banana peppers as they come in. Keeps forever.

• kayskats
    16 years ago

welcome back carlam71. I hope you don't get bent out of shape this time around because the experienced folks around here are sharing their knowledge freely. In the six months I've been posting I've seen them answer the same questions over and over and am amazed at their patience.

I seriously doubt that one of them is going to tell you that your peppers are "safe".

The reason? Using oil in canning is very problematic. Yes, there are recipes that use oil, but these recipes have been tested under stringent scientific laboratory conditions and should be executed precisely. (Most will tell you what ingredients can be substituted or deleted).

The link below will take you to a source for a lot of information on canning and pickling peppers. It would be a good place to start before you expend any more of your time and effort (and ingredients).

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publications/uc_davis/uc_davis_peppers.pdf

• John__ShowMe__USA
    16 years ago

I'll let the experts answer, but I've always pressure processed peppers and don't like the results. Maybe someone will post a safe recipe for BWBing pods.

Even my pods in pure vinegar and sugar in the fridge are making me worried lately. I freeze or dry almost everything now.

jt

• digdirt2
    16 years ago

carlam - Perhaps I missed it in one of your other posts on this question. If so, forgive me. But can I ask why you are so opposed to just freezing your peppers (rather than canning them)? It is so much easier, no risks, and then you can use the frozen peppers to make all these cooking recipes you like as needed.

Is it lack of freezer space? An awfully lot of peppers can be crammed into one ziplock bag. ;)

Is it texture? If so, then you will be much happier with the texture of frozen peppers than with any canned ones.

Is it because these are supposed to be gifts? If so, then it is even more important that you find another, tested and approved recipe. There are many of them available.

Dave

• readinglady
    16 years ago

You might take a look at this recipe for Marinated Peppers and give it a shot. It does have oil, but it's been lab-tested for safety and has a carefully calibrated balance of acid to oil. That's critical because oil insulates botulism spores; there has to be just the right amount of acid to counterract that effect.

In this recipe you can leave out the oregano, the onions, the garlic and/or the horseradish. None of those have to be included.

Here's what you can't do:

1) Don't leave out the bottled lemon juice and don't substitute fresh lemon juice or more vinegar instead. Bottled lemon juice is a stronger acid and it's a consistent strength. We're talking about ReaLemon brand in the green bottle.

2) Don't reduce the amount of vinegar or lemon juice; don't dilute with water.

3) Read through all the instructions and add salt as directed to each jar depending upon size.

4) Don't use extra peppers or jam the peppers into the jars too tightly. You want the liquid to surround the peppers so they get plenty of exposure.

5) Make sure you process the jars for a full 15 minutes. When they're done, turn the heat off, remove the lid and leave the jars in the canner another 5 minutes. Then take them out.

Hopefully this recipe will give you the marinated effect that you want.

You might also want to explore around the site I've linked to. It has lots of other good canning information, including a free self-paced online course in what the current canning standards are.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Marinated Peppers

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

For a pint jar, that 1 tablesoon of oil may not be safe.