Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tangrene

Vinegar and comment about search function

tangrene
11 years ago

Hi folks, I have lurked here on and off for years but recently joined so I could alert folks to something that we all need to watch out for.

Recently I went to buy some gallons of apple cider vinegar. I picked up several gallons and then I noticed an unusual labeling when I checked to make sure the vinegar was 5%.

It said APPLE CIDER FLAVORED Vinegar. Ingredients were DISTILLED WHITE VINEGAR, CARMEL COLOR, and something else I can't remember. DANG IT I said...cause the only APPLE CIDER vinegar they had was small bottles...which wouldn't do for my project. If I bought the real thing in smaller bottles...it doubled the cost of the gallon of distilled vinegar. I do not want distilled vinegar for my project...because I am stubborn and always use apple cider vinegar for my plum butter (50+ pints and counting so far this week and my largest tree of Italian plums is ready NOW and I'm tired of plums...LOL).

So I went to another store...SAME THING...the gallons were APPLE CIDER FLAVORED distilled vinegar.

So don't forget to get those reading glasses out BEFORE you pay for your vinegar folks!

AND my comment about the web site function is...the search SUCKS!...I would search for this and that and sometimes wouldn't get even a hit...but then I searched google...and I'd find posts from Garden WEB and then click that link and go back to Garden Web to read the topic I just searched for.

Go figure!

BTW...I have canned for 50 years...and my favorite thing to can is lambsquarter...and my least favorite thing to harvest and clean is lambsquarter. ;-)

Comments (5)

• backyardbum
    11 years ago

I did the same thing with the vinegar. I was lucky they had the apple cider vinegar on the bottom shelf.

How do you can your lambsquarter? I havent eaten it for a few years but we do have a bumper crop this year.
    Lynn

• tangrene
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I probably shouldn't tell you this...but I got so dang tired of cleaning the many bushels of lambs-quarters that I came up with a short-cut that you'll laugh at.

The way I grew up doing it was get up before sunrise the morning or two after the first spring rain (in high desert Texas) and go look in ditches for the young tender lambs-quarter. Lambs-quarter later in the year is just too tough in Texas..but in Wa. State you can harvest them till hot weather if you like the lanky ones that grow up here.

Take home and then pinch out each and every blasted growing tip (that's where bugs like to hide) then soak and wash...then take each and every plant and slap slap slap against your hand to dislodge the sand sticking to the underside of the leaves (lambs-quarter has a sticky tendency worse than spinach). Then soak and wash 2 more times. That is the way my Grandma and Mother taught me and I had the blistered hand every year to show for it.

OR...clean your clothes washer out good...and put 2 bushels of lambs-quarter in and wash those suckers and spin them and pretend you don't know a thing about those few bugs that might have stuck to the growing points. (LOL) Protein is a good thing. The greens come out a little bruised but clean as a whistle and no sore fingers and blistered palms.

My Grandmother thought I was touched in the head when she came over to can at my house for the first time. I usually helped her can whatever we happened to be picking that day...then went home and did mine the way I wanted to. LOL!

Then I proceed with a hot pack for collards or mustard greens. Generally...I put whole plants (minus and roots you might have accidentally acquired) into large canner for precooking...then use a knife to "cut" tenderized greens into fairly large chunks. This takes care of the young stems. You don't want to chop them up like the stores do with frozen greens. I only pass a knife thru 5-6 times and call it good.

Best part of lambs-quarter is the fact is you get more Qts per bushel as compared to other greens...or at least that is my experience. This was very helpful feeding our family because all the kids would eat lambs-quarter but not the other greens.

Growing up..lambs-quarter was a necessity back when you just couldn't get much green produce in the winter due to transportation of produce back then. On good years...we would can 2 or 3 years worth...just in case the next year was a bad year for lambs-quarter. We kept it in our tornado shelter/root cellar so it was fine for years. My great grandmothers were Comanche and Cherokee so it was an event each year for 3-4 generations to gather lambs-quarter for our families.

BTW...did you know that you can somewhat domesticate lambs-quarter to grow in your garden? My aunt did this and each year the greens got more and more purple tinged and they loved the extra love and produced well for us...plus they handle hail storms better than other greens.

• annie1992
    11 years ago

Wow, and I thought I was the only one who ate lambsquarter. I eat purslane too, I figure if they grow in MY garden, I'm eating them. (grin)

I never canned it, though, I guess I never thought of it. Now I'll have to try, so thanks!

Annie

• readinglady
    11 years ago

I've eaten both but never canned them. Considering "weeds" are some of our best crops, I should.

You'll have better luck searching this forum by doing a Google Advanced Search and limiting the search to this site. Then it won't bring up other web pages, only here.

Then once you find what you want if it's a long thread hit Ctrl+F on your keyboad and enter whatever term you're specifically looking for. A lot of time threads digress into different topics and the Find function will locate exactly which posts discuss the topic you're interested in.

Carol

• tangrene
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Now that I live in the Pacific NW I find the lambs-quarter is a bit sparse with the branches of each leaf set far apart...whereas in Texas the plant was a much bushier plant that seemed to just pop up over night after the first spring rains and you had a very short period to get it. In the NW where it is cool and rainy till at least mid July...you can keep picking it depending on the elevation. It doesn't get bitter like it does in Texas when it starts to bolt.

I like to eat raw just the leaves and even the growing points...I just sort of graze them till I feel guilty about them being in the garden and pull them up. I do can them up here (NW) if I can find a good patch in sandy soil on the edges of cornfields BEFORE the farmer sprays his field. But the yield is much much less. I tend to get more stem and less leaves...but the stems are tasty canned...sort of like an asparagus...but without the falling apart that happens when you can asparagus. (I don't can asparagus anymore since I can get it fresh now days)

I have frozen left over a "mess" of lambs-quarter to eat at another meal and it is fine. I just prefer canning it...and saving my freezer space for all the berries I plan to pick thru the season.

BTW....you MUST splash on some cider vinegar as you plate the lambs-quarter or some green tabasco pepper vinegar to make it really great.