Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrsmoosepants

Lemon & Bay Leaf Bean Pickles

mrsmoosepants
12 years ago

I saw this recipe added to the Leesa recipe thread, and they looked mighty intriguing.

I just made the lemon cucumber pickles from the big ball book, and they were fantastic.

I was hoping the guys/gals who help us "newbies" could take a look at this recipe. I hope it will be ok to do, because I would love to try it.

Lemon-and-Bay Leaf Bean Pickles

2 3/4 c water

2 c white vinegar (5% acidity)

1/2 c sugar

1/3 c bottled lemon juice

1 tbsp pickling salt

2 1/4 lbs fresh green and/or yellow beans, trimmed (11 c)

8 bay leaves

4 tsp whole black peppercorns (red ones would be fun for color)

8 strips lemon peel

In a 6 to 8 quart stainless-steel enamel or nonstick heavy pot, combine the water, vinegar, sugar, lemon juice, and salt. Bring to a boiling over medium high heat, stirring constantly until sugar and salt dissolve. Add beans, return to boiling. Boil for 1 minute. Drain beans, reserving the liquid. Return reserved liquid to the pot. Return to a simmer, cover.

Pack hot beans lengthwise into four hot sterilized pint jars, adding two of the bay leaves, 1 teaspoon of the peppercorns and two strips of the lemon peel to each jar.

Pour boiling liquid over beans in jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove any air bubbles from jars and fill to headspace if needed. Process filled jars in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes (start timing when water returns to boiling).

Makes 4 pints.

Found on Canning Homemade!

Here is a link that might be useful: Recipe Link

Comments (2)