Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
canning peaches with skin on?

Posted by westmontco SE PA 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 3, 11 at 22:24

So we were canning peaches the other day and the question came up - Since I eat my peaches without peeling them, is there any reason to peel them before canning them?

I notice apricots seem to always be canned without peeling the fuzzy skin off, but peaches say to peel them. Is it because the have more fuzz? When we wash them we rub them to knock off most of the fuzz.

In the end we did can one pint (out of 21 quarts) with slices that had the skin left on to try them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: canning peaches with skin on?

I never peel my peaches when canning them.
Jim in So Calif

o

I honestly can't imagine canning my peaches without peeling them. The peeling is the primary source of any bacteria and/or contaminants so that is why it is included in the canning instructions. But the main thing for me is that the appearance of the peeling in the jars would really put me off.

To each his own.

Dave

o

You can do it, but it does add to the bacteria level for sure.
I cannot imagine eating them canned with the peel just for the feel of them, either.

o

And yet the fuzzy skin of a canned apricot is different????
Jim in So Calif

o

No but then peeling would be preferred too. I do.

That's why unpeeled raw pack gets 5 mins more processing time than peeled do. BBB gives you the option but NCHFP says "unpeeled makes poor quality apricots".

Dave

o

Thanks for the responses. They don't look bad in the jar, but they do look different. It's not that I prefer to eat peaches with skin on, but I don't feel like peeling a peach every time I want to eat one and since I don't mind them raw that way I wondered if there was a "real" reason rather than texture.

Bacteria sounds like a good reason, but yeah I always wondered about the difference between apricots and peaches for skin on/off.

o

Tried the pint of slices with skin on. Canning makes the skin tougher. No fuzz problem, but the skin is definitely tougher than raw.

I think we'll peel them all in the future. I think apricots must have a thinner peel.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here