Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cagardenerwestelle

Duh! Question

CA Kate z9
10 years ago

Someone please remind me: what do you do to remove the sour tastes from fresh cucumbers?
Thanks!

Comments (9)

• kathy_in_washington
    10 years ago

Westelle, you and I must be eating different things -- because I think fresh cucumbers are actually almost sweet! Perhaps they grew without enough irrigating, and they are bitter. Is that what you mean? Are you eating the peel; washing them well; or do you and I just have different taste buds? ha ha

• readinglady
    10 years ago

Do you mean bitter? That is a chemical reaction often due to inadequate watering and/or unfavorable growing conditions like heat stress. Genetics is also a factor as some plants naturally produce bitter cucumbers while others from the same seed packet will produce sweet.

Sometimes there's just not much you can do about it.

Carol

• lyndapaz
    10 years ago

I have seen a number of TV chefs say that you should cut off the blossom end and rub the cuke on metal to get rid of the "bitter" taste. I have always looked at this as some type of voodoo magic. But could that be what you were referring to, Kathy?

• CA Kate z9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, I'm referring to a bitter-taste. They are in a planter that has gotten dry before watering because of the heat, so may be that's the cause.

Still, I remember my mother soaking the cucumbers in something to get rid of the bitterness. I guess I could try the metal on the blossom end, but it sounds like voodoo to me too. I'll report back.

• lyndapaz
    10 years ago

My mom always salted them and let them sit for a half hour and then rinsed them off before using in cucumber salads. Said it took the "bite" out of them.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

The bitterness often is on the stem end, not the blossom end.

Cut about 1/2" from stem end with a SHARP knife.
    Then rub the two in a circular/orbital motion
    What you will see is white creamy stuff coming out. Some of the bitterness also comes out with it.

Salt can also do similar effect by extracting out juice/water and thereby the bitterness. That is what and how they do to bitter eggplants ; Sprinkle with salt or soak them in brine. Also they do that with Bitter Melon (Looks like cucumber but it is not. It is sold in Asian markets)

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    10 years ago

I agree with seysonn that the bitterness is usually on the stem end (usually being the key word; sometimes the bitterness goes throughout the cuke). When I use store bought cukes, I cut the stem end of the cucumber off until I start to see the seed cavity. That usually prevents any bitterness.

Rodney

• readinglady
    10 years ago

It's Cucurbitacin B & C, which is normally confined to leaves, stems and roots (including the blossom end of the cucumber). But sometimes it extends into the cucumber fruits.

The main causes are stress, lean soil (cucumbers really draw lots of nutrients) and/or lack of sun (a big one here in the Pacific Northwet some summers).

Sometimes you'll find the bitterness does not extend throughout the entire cucumber. Try a slice from the middle and see what you get.

Carol

• CA Kate z9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all!