Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Freezing peppers & onions for later use

Posted by oletimer (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 1, 10 at 22:32

I have a lot of peppers and onions can I chop them up and freeze them and then use them in canning salsa and stewed tomatoes later? I would measure them first before freezing, like one cup.
Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Freezing peppers & onions for later use

Yes you can. Many of us dice the onions and freeze them in 1 or 2 cup packs for later use. Peppers are usually cored and de-seeded then laid out on a cookie sheet and individually frozen in 1/2 or quarters or large chunks depending on their size. Once frozen just put all of them into a ziplock bag.

You can dice them but they will be mushy when thawed so the larger pieces are easier to work with.

Dave

o

I dice some peppers so I can just knock out what I need for soups, etc.
I learned my lesson about being too frugal trying to save on bags. I chopped onions and froze in a gallon ziploc. By the time I used them up, they had pretty well frozen into a solid block from the bit of thawing each time I took them out of the freezer. It didn't really pay to save a few bags. Smaller sizes are easier to work with!

You can stuff the peppers and freeze them too!
Otherwise.........what Dave said!! LOL

Deanna

o

I chop peppers/onions & freeze on cookie sheet before bagging too.. :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here