Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Real canning recipe, wrong yield

Posted by headquire none (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 8, 12 at 22:43

With a bumper crop of tomatillos, we thought we'd put up some salsa verde. We followed this recipe to the letter...
http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_salsa/tomatillo_green_salsa.html
...but after simmering for 20 minutes, it only yielded about 3 pints! How can I tell if the product will keep safely?

The recipe states that green tomatoes are an acceptable substitute for tomatillos. That makes me wonder if maybe this recipe was developed and tested using green tomatoes, which have *way* more water than tomatillos. I can't imagine substituting one for the other in equal volume and getting a similar yield.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Real canning recipe, wrong yield

Well I am sort of amazed that the recipe states that it makes "about" 5 pints since the bulk of the other items cook down to almost nothing.

I am equally amazed that you need 1 cup of lemon juice, so that means you basically got 1/3 cup of juice per jar!!!
No thanks for me. I'd rather freeze a less acidic type of salsa than to use that much lemon juice with my tomatillos cause they are tart enough for me as is.

I understand why they add that much lemon juice...

I don't know about you...but I prefer larger batches recipes if they can be had anymore.

o
RE: Real canning recipe, wrong yield

The flavor is actually pretty good. I'm not sure if it's the multitude of onions balancing it out or what, but it's not too sour at all. It's really tasty. But will it keep? When a recipe turns out with a yield that's way off like this, do you still trust it?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here