Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pqtex

What veggies can be done bread-and-butter style?

pqtex
13 years ago

I canned bread-and-butter squash this summer and really liked the results. I used the recipe from So Easy to Preserve (U of GA).

A couple of days ago on this forum I saw references to making bread-and-butter jalapeno rings. Sounds good.

What else can be done with the Bread-and-Butter pickle recipe?

Can okra be done that way, and if so, which recipe to use? And how would the okra be cut? What's the texture like?

Thanks, Jill

Comments (8)

• Linda_Lou
    13 years ago

Depends if the recipe for that kind of pickled veggie has straight vinegar needed or if the brine for the bread and butter is strong enough.
    You can use the correct brine for the veggie, but then add the bread and butter dried spices to it, such as pickled carrots, could use the right vinegar strength, but omit the regular pickled carrot recipe spices and sub the dried ones from the bread and butter pickles.

• pqtex
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm not sure I understand your answer. I haven't done much pickling. Are you saying the brine mix is different (safety-wise) depending on which vegetables are used?

This was my first year canning and I made the bread-and-butter pickle recipe, substituting yellow squash, per the instructions in So Easy to Preserve. The brine consisted of 4 cups vinegar to 4-1/2 cups sugar. Other than the onions called for in the recipe, all other ingredients were dried spices (mustard seed, celery seed, tumeric).

I generally don't like pickles at all, but liked the sweet flavor of the bread and butter squash. Could this same recipe be used for the jalapenos and/or other vegetables? I am very, very careful to use recipes only from safe sources. I had not seen one for the bread-and-butter jalapenos, and when I saw the posts here, it made me wonder what other vegetables I could preserve that way.

Thanks for your help.

Jill

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

Are you saying the brine mix is different (safety-wise) depending on which vegetables are used?

Yes, she is. Many pickling recipes call for different ratios of vinegar to water. 1:1 or 1/2 and 1/2 vinegar and water is the lowest recommended.

But different vegetables have different pH so some will require more acid to be added to make them safe while some could "possibly" get by with less vinegar. (This is one of those examples of how you cannot generalize from one recipe to another when it comes to safety.)

I would have to look up the recipe you used to know if you can substitute other vegetables in that particular recipe or not. Is the brine straight vinegar or does it include water? If so, how much?

Dave

• kayskats
    13 years ago

jill ... did you get Carols bread n/ butter jals:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/harvest/msg091216595727.html

I saw a bread and butter sliced green toms somewhere ... will post later. In the meantime there are a couple more bread n butters at this link
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/harvest/msg091216595727.html

you could put the bread'n butter herbs and spices in any of them ... but unless there's a good bit of sugar in the recipe, you might not like it as well.

k

• pqtex
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, I saw the recipe for bread-and-butter jalapenos. That's what sparked my interest in other veggies done in this style. The recipe I used for my bread-and-butter squash is the one on page 144 of So Easy to Preserve, which states that squash can be substituted for the cucumbers in the original recipe on page 125.

There isn't ANY water mixed with the vinegar in the brine. The recipe is as follows:

6 lbs yellow squash
    8 cups thinly sliced onions
    4 cups vinegar (5%)
    4-1/2 cups sugar
    2 TBS mustard seed
    1-1/2 TBS celery seed
    1 TBS ground tumeric

(The lime soak was optional and the squash slices came out nice and crisp without it.)

Add sugar & spices to vinegar, boil 10 minutes. Add well-drained squash & onions and reheat to boiling. Fill pint or quart jars with slices, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Fill to 1/2 inch from top with hot cooking liquid. Remove bubbles. Wipe jar rims, Adjust lids, process pints or quarts for 10 minutes in a Boiling Water Bath. Store 4-5 weeks before use to develop ideal flavor.

I didn't really mean to imply I had to use this recipe for other veggies, but wanted to know which veggies COULD be used with it. Mainly what other veggies would taste/process well in a bread-and-butter style (with a tested recipe). I had never seen the jalapeno recipe before and just wondered what else I was missing out on!

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

Since it is a 100% vinegar recipe then you can use most any vegetable with it - carrots, pearl onions, pepper rings, etc. Even mixed vegetable B&B pickles. Really anything that sounds good. ;)

I have done B&B carrot chips and B&B onions with excellent results but never tried any other vegetables personally. Maybe B&B green beans might be good.

Dave

• tracydr
    13 years ago

I made watermel rind pickles bread and butter style because I don't like sweet pickles. They are really crunchy!

• tracydr
    13 years ago

With that recipe you can use anything. The other thing you can do is find any safe, approved dilly or seet recipe you like and adjust the sugar and spices to suit your needs. For instance, if you find hot pickled peppers in the BBB, you could try cooking the brine with sugar and adding the spices that you liked from your zucchini recipe. As long as your vinegar percentage is the same and your processing doesn't change, adding sugar and dry spices is safe.
    I took a very sweet watermelon rind recipe and went the other way, making it less sweet and using B&B spices. They are crunch and delicicious. I think the reason watermelon rind pickles sre no longer made is that the recipes are cloyingly sweet, full of cinnamon, seedless watermelons don't have thick rinds and people throw everything in the trash nowadays.