Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harriet05_gw

questions about Annie's salsa recipe

harriet05
17 years ago

I did a search, and found the recipe YAH for me lol

and I apologize if this has been asked before...

1) how long do you water boil if you are using the water bath method?

2) can you omit the jalapenos for a "mild" salsa?

Comments (11)

• readinglady
    17 years ago

Boiling water bath for 15 minutes; be sure to use a full 1 cup of vinegar per 8 cups tomatoes (a single batch) if you're using the water bath.

Also, Annie says the lesser amount of jals results in a milder salsa, but if you want to you can leave the jals out entirely.

Carol

• annie1992
    17 years ago

Thank you, Carol, you knew I was on vacation, camping and wouldn't get this answered.

Harriet, if you leave the jalapenos out all together you're going to have some darned mild salsa, no heat at all, but if that's what you like you certainly can do that. I often use half the amount of jalapenos called for because my daughter is a hot pepper "sissy" (her definitely, not mine, LOL). I always put a tag on that batch that says "Sissy Salsa". (grin)

Annie

• harriet05
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Annie, I had to post and tell you, I made a batch of this salsa Sunday and OH MY GOODNESS...it is the best I have ever tasted. I cut the jalapenos down to just 2, because my tummy cant take much "hot" but WOW is it ever good. I am going to make snother batch tonight....

• annie1992
    17 years ago

Harriet, I'm glad you like it. And frankly, two jalapenos would make it just right for Ashley, so she'd think your batch was perfect.

Annie

• spyfferoni
    17 years ago

I have a question also:
    The recipe calls for green peppers---Does that mean bell peppers or green chilis. I have some Sweet Banana peppers I would like to use, some yellow and green bells, and some Anahiem peppers. I plan on getting some Jalapenos and Serranos from my neihbor. Have you ever used Serrano peppers in this recipe instead of Jalapenos???

I am looking forward to trying this recipe and canning on my own---(I helped my Mom when I was younger, but remember very little.)

Thanks,
    Tyffanie

• annie1992
    17 years ago

Tyffanie, I use sweet green bell peppers. You can use any kind of peppers you have, those are just commonly available here.

As for the serranos, the batch KatieC and I made at Canning Camp had three jalapenos and two serranos. It was a hit.

I've also added habanero, cayenne, something called a "salsa" pepper, scotch bonnet and/or hot banana peppers. I use whatever is available, just don't change the ratio of acid to vegetables.

I'll also caution you to taste the salsa before adding sugar or salt. Sometimes the tomatoes are really sweet and the added sugar is too much. Some people like less salt, or less cilantro, substitute parsley for the cilantro, use less/no cumin. Taste and then season, all those items are simply for flavoring and can be adjusted to suit your taste.

Have fun, and happy canning!

Annie

• bitterwort
    17 years ago

I thought it was great with all jalapenos or with jalapenos and anchos mixed with a bit of cayenne powder or with one of those combined with canned chipotle in adobo sauce for a bit of smokey flavor. (Guess your daughter wouldn't approve, Annie.) Any way you look at it, it's a great recipe, Annie. I can't thank you enough for sharing it with us!

(Now, get to work on that spaghetti sauce recipe. I'm counting on you!)

• annie1992
    17 years ago

bitterwort, I think I'D like it with the chipotle, Ashley is a self-proclaimed "wuss" about hot peppers. I'm kind of a wuss, but not as bad as she is. LOL

Spaghetti sauce, huh? Would now be a good time to say I don't really like spaghetti sauce? (grin) Actually, Carol (readinglady) has a great spaghetti sauce recipe she cans with meat.

I do plan to can spaghetti sauce anyway, because I have tomatoes ripening by the silo full. Gotta do SOMETHING with them.

Annie

• lpinkmountain
    17 years ago

I made Annie's salsa with ancho peppers and hungarian hot peppers and jalapenos. Definately not for the wimps, but not too hot. Picante IMHO.

• prairie_love
    17 years ago

I have used a mix of green bell, anaheim, serrano, jalapeno, and a single poblano ... tastes great! Next time I think I'll make it a tad hotter with either a red chile or habanero, but that's just so I have both hot and not-so-hot around.

I just returned from a camping trip with some good friends. I brought Annie's salsa, a tomatillo salsa that Linda Lou posted, Katie's peach salsa, and my own invention of corn salsa. I was the Salsa Queen and they were all big hits.

I love this forum!

Ann

• bitterwort
    17 years ago

Well okay, Annie, I'll let you off the hook on the spaghetti sauce if your heart's not in it. Maybe I'll look for Carol's recipe and try it sans meat with my few remaining tomatoes. (My small silo-full went for all the Annie's Salsa I had time to make.)

I agree with you, Ann. This forum is the best!

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus