Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sleekkitty

nchfp bbq sauce recipe -- too much sauce, safety issue?

SleekKitty
9 years ago

Hello,
I am a new member, although I've been lurking for a while. I joined specifically to ask this question. I also posted this question on an older thread about the NCHFP BBQ Sauce, but thought I might stand a better chance of getting an answer if I posted on its own thread.

I am hoping someone who has made the NCHFP BBQ Sauce recipe can comment. I made this recipe for the first time this afternoon. However, rather than coming out around 4 pints, I ended up with around 5 1/2 pints. My best guess is that my measuring cups of chopped tomatoes were packed too tightly, so I must have used more tomatoes than the recipe called for. Can anyone comment about the food safety aspect of ending up with that much more sauce than the recipe specified?

One thing is my favor is that the NCHFP recipe is identical to the BBB recipe, except the NCHFP recipe uses 1 1/2 cups 5% vinegar vs. 1 cup for the BBB recipe. If I calculate the amount of vinegar that BBB will have per pint, I come out just a little more than that even with the 5 1/2 pints that I ended up with.

Thanks so much in advance for any help!

Comments (2)