Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mold on the Outside of my Jars

Posted by skeip WI 5a (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 5, 09 at 23:45

I did stewed tomatoes last summer, all corect procedures, processing, acidulation, etc. The contents of the jars look fine, but now I am noticing some small patches of fuzzy mold on the OUTSIDE of the jars, up around where the rings would have been, but not onto the lid itself. They have been stored in a basement root cellar, never gets above 65 degrees. Is this a biohazard, or if I wipe off the outside with a bleach solution are they safe to use? I hate to loose them, but they aren't worth dieing over!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mold on the Outside of my Jars

I'm assuming there was some minor siphoning during the canning process. Did you wash and dry the jars before storage? It's very important to be sure rings are removed and jars are clean before shelving.

Carol

o

I always rinse off my jars after they have cooled. Usually such thngs dissolve in the boiling water bath, unless there was some contamination leaking into the water from the jars. You can rinse and wipe off with a weak solution of water and a little bleach. I must assume that the lids were new and and are all concave with the button indented in the center, which indicates a vacuum inside.

o

I would just wipe it off with a bleach solution, as you suggested.
I used to have this problem frequently with my canned whole tomatoes (PC processed). While I don't think it's dangerous, it is certainly not desirable. Now, after my jars have rested overnight, I remove the rings and give each jar a "bath" in a bleach solution as mentioned above. Let the solution dry, date the lid and store in a cool, dry place. Since I have been doing this, no fuzzy mold!

o

Thanks to all for the info. I am continually amazed by the amount of good, usable advice and KNOWLEDGE on this site!! Thanks again.

Steve

o

I agree, wipe them off with a weak bleach solution and they should be fine.

I always take the rings off my jars before storage and wipe them well to present mold and because if I leave the rings on they seem to "cement" themselves to the jars or rust and I can't get 'em off!

good thing that's what the instructions say I should do. Plus, I reuse those rings several times during a canning season.

Annie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here