Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
crock pickles... now what?

Posted by simplicitygardens z8 pacific N.W. (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 25, 10 at 0:06

I have a crock of pickles I've been fermenting for almost 5 weeks. I've snitched a few out along the way to monitor the progress. They taste good, maybe a little saltier than I'd like, but have nice texture and smell yummy as well.

My questions: 1.Do I have to process these? My understanding is that the health benefits of a fermented food will be wasted if I do. Could I just refrigerate them now? 2.Should I add new brine to bring the level of liquid back up and take the weight out (they're still submerged but it is getting low) 3.If do refrigerate could I just cover the crock with the lid or should they be transfered into sterlized jars? 4. Is there any way I can make them less salty? I probably have about 3 quarts total.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Abhaya

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: crock pickles... now what?

From the NCHFP guidelines on Fermenting:

Fully fermented pickles may be stored in the original container for about 4 to 6 months, provided they are refrigerated and surface scum and molds are removed regularly. Canning fully fermented pickles is a better way to store them. To can them, pour the brine into a pan, heat slowly to a boil, and simmer 5 minutes. Filter brine through paper coffee filters to reduce cloudiness, if desired. Fill jar with pickles and hot brine, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Adjust lids and process as recommended in Table 1 , or use the low-temperature pasteurization treatment described below.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Fermenting Pickles NCHFP

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here