Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happyday_gw

White fluffy mold on horseradish roots

happyday
12 years ago

I dug up some horseradish, brought it in and scrubbed some of the bigger roots clean then left them all on the counter for a few days in a colander while I did other things.

Today I noticed that there was a white fluffy mold on the roots, some on the ones I scrubbed but most of it in the fine root hairs of the unscrubbed ones.

So I scrubbed them again, cut them up small, put in a bowl with some white vinegar, some salt, a dash of lime juice, and about half a bottle of dill pickle relish and enough water to cover and put in the fridge till the slightly dried roots reabsorb water, then will run through the blender with salad dressing and make sauce. This sauce then stays in the fridge till it gets used up.

When I made it before there was no white mold. I added the vinegar, salt and lime to try to combat the mold. Think it will be ok?

Comments (9)

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Did you peel the roots? The approved instructions call for peeling since the peel is the primary source of molds, bacteria, and other contaminants.

Can't really comment on the rest of your recipe as it is apparently a personal one.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Horseradish Sauce

• readinglady
    12 years ago

Generally if there's mold on fresh horseradish root, you peel or scrape to remove and cut out any soft spots.

I don't have a food safety concern but I guess I have a quality concern leaving horseradish out at room temperature so many days letting it get limp and dried out rather than wrapping in damp towels and refrigerating.

But I haven't read anything that indicates mold is a problem if it's removed carefully. Generally with solid foods where the mold can't easily penetrate (as opposed to jam) it's standard practice to cut or peel.

The recipe is totally up to you.

Carol

• happyday
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I didn't peel the roots, just scrubbed with a plastic scrub pad. I only left them out a few days. Didn't mind leaving them about because I planned to dry and grind up the finer roots into powder. Thanks for the tip about refrigerating in damp towels, I hadn't heard of that. In future I'll refrigerate the big roots in towels and just dry the fine ones, not leave them out together.

• Linda_Lou
    12 years ago

If you didn't peel them, that is where the bacteria is mostly, on the peel. Then, using leftover pickle juice that has already been diluted and contaminated ?
    I think you should rethink your food preparation ways. No, I don't think it will be OK.
    Why not follow the safe way of making horseradish ?

Pickled Horseradish Sauce
    2 cups (3/4 lb) freshly grated horseradish
    1 cup white vinegar (5 percent)
    1/2 tsp canning or pickling salt
    1/4 tsp powdered ascorbic acid
    Yield: About 2 half-pints

Procedure: The pungency of fresh horseradish fades within 1 to 2 months, even when refrigerated. Therefore, make only small quantities at a time. Wash horseradish roots thoroughly and peel off brown outer skin. The peeled roots may be grated in a food processor or cut into small cubes and put through a food grinder. Combine ingredients and fill into sterile jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Seal jars tightly and store in a refrigerator.

• happyday
    Original Author
    12 years ago

leftover pickle juice that has already been diluted and contaminated ?

I didn't say that, did I? I think you should reread. I used half a bottle of fresh dill pickle relish, just opened.

• Linda_Lou
    12 years ago

Ok, sorry, I thought it was used brine. Many people try reusing old brine....
    Still, you should peel that horseradish. As you can see the horseradish is safely done in pure vinegar that is at least 5 % acidity.

• happyday
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My mistake. I thought you were thinking of the fridge pickles. I did try reusing old brine there. Not this time, I bought a brand new bottle of dill pickle relish just for the horseradish.

Thank you for the recipe. Other than that I left the roots out a couple days and didn't peel them, I did almost follow your recipe. I used (fresh white 5%) vinegar, salt, and some lime juice, doesn't that count as citric acid? I don't have any powdered ascorbic acid.

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

The lime does account for some additional acid but it is the amounts, the proportions of ingredients used that determines the safety of the recipe and the storage life of it.

If the amounts of vinegar and lime juice used is in correct proportions to the horseradish then all is fine. If not then problems can develop. You can't count on the relish to make up the difference in acid as its acidity has already been diluted by the relish packed in it.

Ascorbic acid and citric acid aren't the same thing but in this case the ascorbic acid is used to keep the horseradish from turning dark. It is for appearance, not a safety issue.

Dave

• readinglady
    12 years ago

Instead of ascorbic acid you could use Fruit Fresh or any similar vegetable whitener. Regardless, that's an appearance issue, nothing else, and it could be deleted.

I don't see the acidity level as an issue for a refrigerated product with a relatively short life. I'm assuming you make this in small amounts. If not, then it sounds like something that would freeze well, and that might be a convenient option.

Fresh horseradish root keeps its heat best refrigerated, though the flavor will soften over time. You can also freeze chunks or peel and suspend in vinegar for longer-term storage. The horseradish-flavored vinegar can be used for salad dressings or other condiments.

Carol