Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
missemerald

Soup Questions

missemerald
9 years ago

I've been doing a lot of canning lately, and could use a few suggestions. I've canned chicken soup (Ball recipe), veggie soup (Ball recipe) and spiced tomato soup (found it here). I'll be doing beef stew next (also Ball recipe). My family loves soup in the winter and the kids especially love a thermos of it in their lunches. Does anyone have any other tried and true recipes for canned soups or stews to share? My Ball book also shows Split Pea but my kids really don't like that so I'll pass. Suggestions and recipes are most gratefully appreciated!

Comments (3)

• dgkritch
    9 years ago

Chili?
    Bean and ham?
    French onion?

I've linked to NCHFP site for canning soups.
    You can combine lots of things, use different seasonings for a variety of flavors if you follow their guidelines.

Sounds like the family will be well fed this winter!

Deanna

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP --soups

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Check out the Bring out your soups and stews thread and the soup recipes in the Greatest Hits for starters.

Type 'soup' into the forum search bar at the bttom of the page for lots of soup discussions. I didn't go through all of them but many contain recipes.

And like Deanna said the soup instructions from NCHFP allow for almost unlimited combinations of meats and/or vegetables.

Dave

• annie1992
    9 years ago

I just canned a lovely soup made with Great White Tomatoes, the last of the fresh basil and some sweet red pepper, both beautiful and delicious. I used this recipe from the Ball Blue Book, but left out the cloves and the carrots because I didn't have any right then. I think I could have reduced the sugar, because the tomatoes were so sweet, but my girls loved this, and it's beautiful, the white tomatoes with bits of red pepper floating about in it.

Spiced Tomato Soup
    4 quarts chopped, peeled, cored tomatoes
    3 ý cups chopped onions
    2 ý cup chopped celery
    2 cups chopped sweet red peppers
    1 cup sliced carrots
    7 bay leaves
    1 Tablespoon whole cloves
    1 clove garlic
    1 cup brown sugar
    2 teaspoons salt
    Combine all ingredients except sugar and salt in a large saucepan (I put the spices in a bag).Simmer until tender. Puree in a food processor until smooth. Return to saucepot. Add sugar and salt. Cook over medium heat 15 minutes.
    Ladle into hot jars, leaving 1 inch headspace. Adjust caps. Process 20 minutes at 10 pounds pressure in a steam pressure canner.

I also make KatieC's soup with garlic and roasted tomatoes:

Roasted Tomato Garlic Soup

Recipe By :Katie

12 tomatoes -- *see Note
    2 carrots -- cut in 2" pieces
    1 large onion -- quartered
    2 whole heads garlic -- peeled (or more, to taste)
    olive oil
    2 cups chicken broth -- (or 3)
    1/2 cup chopped fresh basil -- (or 1 Tbsp. dried)

Core tomatoes and cut in half. Place, cut side up, on foil covered cookie sheet with carrots, onion and garlic. Brush with olive oil. Bake at 400F for about an hour, or until vegies are roasted and a little blackened.

Place in a large saucepan with the chicken broth and basil and simmer for about 10 minutes. Blend with a stick blender (or in small batches in a blender) until almost smooth.

To can: Ladle into clean hot jars and leave a one-inch headspace. Process pints 60 minutes and quarts 70 minutes. For dial gauge canners use 11 lbs. pressure at 0-2000 ft., 12 lbs. at 2001-4000 ft., 13 lbs. at 4001- 6000 ft., and 14 lbs. over 6000 ft. For weighted gauge canners use 10 lbs. pressure at 0-1000 ft. and 15 lbs. over 1000 ft.

To serve: Add cream to taste when heating if desired.

My girls love split pea soup, so I've canned that, as well as Bean Soup with Ham. It's nice to just have a jar of soup to warm up, sometimes.

Annie