Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nilajones

What can I make with the cores of asian pears? Vinegar? Pectin?

NilaJones
10 years ago

You know haw they have that astringency to them, not like european pears. Does that make them useless for these things? What have you folks done?

I have 20 pounds or so of pears that are about ripe enough to freeze for pies. Maybe tomorrow, or sometime this week. So I am about to have a lot of slightly underripe cores!

Comments (22)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Honestly I think the only thing they are good for is making compost. Great for that. Otherwise it is a lot of work for minimal if any return IMO. Or you can feed the wildlife. They love them.

Dave

• NilaJones
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Party pooper!

I will try making some vinegar, unless somebody says they did it and it was awful :).

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

Not knowledgeable about asian pears except I know they are good to eat. Are they a high pectin fruit? I would use them as juice/pectin. Just add some water and cook them more. Hopefully you removed the stems.

I make pear sauce and butter, why not asian pear?

Then AFTER use as compost.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

You know they are one of the few low acid fruits, right? Require added acid so not sure how vinegar would be.

Dave

• seysonn
    10 years ago

vinegar (~95% water + 5% acetic acid) is organically made by fermenting wine, or specifically conversion of ethyl alcohol to acetic acid BY the bacteria.
    Generally you make wine first then convert it into vinegar. But I suppose it can be done in parallel and simultaneously, by stirring the MUST(introduction of oxygen). As wine yeast produce alcohol the bacteria take it and convert it into acetic acid. I have made wine vinegar. That is how I have done it. The sweeter the fruit, the higher alcohol and consequently higher acidity of the vinegar. One can add sugar(dissolved in water) and add, to raise alcohol percentage.
    Wine and vinegar making is fun, specially if you grow your own grapes(Or other fruits).
    Acidity in the fruits come from acids other than acetic acid (Like in lemon and lime ..)

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    10 years ago

If you want to go the vinegar route, I would use the same procedure as for making wine. I'd put the peels/cores in a heat safe container along with some sugar. Then I'd pour some boiling water over the peels/cores and sugar, let it cool to room temp, then put yeast in the juice. Stir daily for a several days, strain the peels/cores, and just let it go until it acidifies.

With wine, you'd want to put the juice into a container fitted with an airlock to prevent bacteria from entering and converting the alcohol into acetic acid. With vinegar, this is what you want so you don't need the airlock. I'd keep it covered though to prevent dust and other stuff from getting in but it doesn't have to be airtight.

Rodney

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I haven't done anything with asian pears except to taste them. I don't have any or source (outside of grocery stores) for them, that's why I asked.

• NilaJones
    Original Author
    10 years ago

When I say vinegar, I mean like this:

http://rockfarmer.me/2012/10/05/its-fruit-scrap-vinegar-season/

Quoting the text here, but the link has beautiful pictures :).

All fruit scrap vinegar roads seem to lead back to Sandor Ellix Katz and his book Wild Fermentation. I use the method outlined by No Impact Man Colin Beavan, and he credits Sandor Katz. I owe them both a big thank you �" I love everything about fruit scrap vinegar. Well, everything except for the smell of pineapple vinegar as it ferments; thatâÂÂs the only fruit IâÂÂve tried so far that just doesnâÂÂt float my boat. IâÂÂve got a jar of it here for someone whoâÂÂd like itâ¦Anyone?

Experiment with a few batches to discover what you like. Transform your autumnal fruit waste into vinegar to spice up your winter foods. You wonâÂÂt regret it.

Make your own:

Fill a large jar with fresh, clean water. I use half-gallon Mason jars to make big batches of each flavor.

Add 1/4 cup of honey or the sugar of your choice for each quart of water. Stir until completely dissolved.

Add fruit scraps. Use whatever youâÂÂve got, peels, cores, and whole fruit. Chop up big things such as apples, leave small things such as berries whole. Add at least a couple of handfuls of fruit for rich flavor and color.

Cover the jarâÂÂs open mouth with a clean square of fabric. Use a rubber band or string to hold the fabric in place. This will keep out flies and let in the wild yeast you want.

Set the jar in a dark spot or swaddle it in thick fabric to protect it from the light. I tie a couple of clean old cloth diapers around my jars and set them in a cool spot on my kitchen counter.

Stir the jar every day or so and check to make sure the fruit is submerged. DonâÂÂt worry about yeasty white growth on top; scrape off any other colors of mold and toss that into your compost bin.

After a week or so, or whenever the liquid has darkened and everything is smelling nice and boozy, strain the liquid to remove the fruit. I use a doubled piece of cheesecloth to remove all of the big pieces and most of the small pieces. Compost the fermented fruit.

Pour this strained liquid back into its original jar, replace the fabric square on top, and let it sit for another week or two. When it smells and tastes like vinegar, itâÂÂs ready. Put a solid lid on the jar to keep it from evaporating, store at room temperature, and enjoy.

If you see a translucent growth in the liquid, either a blob or wispy strands, be happy. This is your Mother of Vinegar, and it can be used to start another bottle of vinegar or just left to live where it is. The mother is proof that you did it, you cultured your own vinegar.

- endquote -

I made some with grapes, and it is delicious! Very fruity, and unlike wine vinegar.

10 years ago

Same principle, just different procedure (and even the procedure isn't that different). Mix the fruit scraps with water and a sugar source and let it ferment.

Both the method I described and the method you posted will eventually lead to the same thing. They will result in a very young wine vinegar. So it would still be fruity either way. Evidence: "After a week or so, or whenever the liquid has darkened and everything is smelling nice and boozy" (wine! lol). The primary fermentation of a wine usually only takes about a week.

In the method I described, the reason for pouring boiling water over the scraps is to kill any wild yeasts and/or other things. Then by adding yeast back in (it doesn't have to be wine yeast, baker's yeast or bread yeast should work), it results in a more controlled and more reliable primary fermentation.

In short, either way works. :)

Rodney

• seysonn
    10 years ago

In my opinion, it will take much longer than two to three weeks to get vinegar(maybe some but not all). In that period even the process of conversion of sugar to alcohol is not fully completed. The acetic acid making bacterial work very slower in converting the alcohol into acetic acid unless you put in a big chunk of MOTHER vinegar in there. EVEN then it will be very slow process because jar has a small exposure to air. The bacteria need air(oxygen) to convert alcohol to acetic acid. The bigger the exposure the faster the process.
    JMO

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    10 years ago

NilaJones-I've just completed asian pear vinegar using the 'wild fermentation' method you quoted. I used a bit of Braggs ac vinegar as a mother. I used the scraps from dehydrating. Also made one with apples, an apple/asian pear, and a concord grape. All are a success. We use quite a bit of vinegar so why not make some, then compost? Just started another batch with the last of the fruit. Boiling water not necessary.

http://www.wildfermentation.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: concord grape vinegar

10 years ago

Another link i have saved.

Another bit of info from Ohio State
    http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/5000/pdf/5346.pdf

Here is a link that might be useful: fruit scrap vinegar

10 years ago

I never said that boiling water was neccesary and in fact I said that both methods will work. And I'm not saying that one method is better than the other as they both end with the same result: vinegar.

The main difference between the two is that my method uses yeast that has been introduced into a fairly clean environment (due to the boiling water) which results in a quicker, more controlled, and more reliable ferment. As opposed to relying wild yeasts that have to first make their way into the juice (which isn't too difficult) and then they have to compete with other things like mold initially.

Rodney

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Nila - sure sounds easy enough in the info you posted. Just curious though - what all do you use it for?

I guess I've just never gotten into flavored vinegars - other than balsamic - enough to know much about vinegar uses other than pickling, with beans and ham, cooked greens, and cleaning the coffee pot. :)

Dave

• NilaJones
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, sleevendog! It's great to know the result will be tasty!

And thanks, Rodney and seysonn, for the more details and helping me understand the process better :).

I put my cores in sugar water last night.

@Dave:

Use for salad dressing and cooking. Not for preserving, never fear :).

The grape one tastes a bit like balsamic, and might make a good substitute. I could use it in your carmelised figs recipe :).

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Vinegar has 101 uses. Remember "ask Heloise"?

Number One: disinfectant ....kills the germs that make bad odor .

10 years ago

I probably use about 12 gallons a year. 2 gallons of that is probably Braggs organic and is expensive. I'l still buy the basic cheap white for cleaning and i put a bit in the washer where one would usually add bleach...

Fruit scrap vinegars or not heavily flavored or scented but you can smell the fruit. Check your basic suburban grocery shelf. Often dozens of vinegars. Most so called 'top shelf' are impostors with added sugars and flavorings. I had a good fruit crop this year and made salsas, syrups, dehydrated, etc. but also made 3 gallons of vinegar from the scraps for cooking. 80% of cooking has a bit of vinegar. Just made 30lbs of sausage and about 5lbs of Boudin...all recipes have a bit of vinegar. I make my own mustards...1/2 cup vinegar, etc.
    The list is endless. Braised a couple pork tips and made a batch of fresh fridge pickles for a salad and to use for sandwiches...2 cups vinegar...

• balloonflower
    10 years ago

Nila,

Might be interested in following recipe for your vins. It says raspberry or strawberry because those are what my herb Guild sells, but your fruit ones should be lovely.

Quinoa Salad With Apples, Raisin & Walnuts

÷ 1 1/4 Cups Stock or Water
    1 Cup Quinoa, Rinsed Well
    ÷ 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
    ÷ 1 Tablespoon Guild Raspberry Lemon Thyme Vinegar or Strawberry Mint Vinegar
    ÷ ü Cup Parsley, Chopped
    ÷ ü Cup Chives, Chopped
    ÷ ü teaspoon Salt
    ÷ ü teaspoon Pepper
    ÷ 2 Golden Delicious Apples, Cored and Diced
    ÷ ý Cup Golden Raisins
    ÷ ý Cup Chopped Walnuts, Toasted

Prepare the quinoa. Bring 1 ü cups stock or water to a boil then stir in the quinoa. Return to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until the quinoa is tender, (about 25 ��" 30 minutes). Let rest for 5 minutes, fluff with a fork, then set aside.

While the quinoa is cooking, whisk the oil, vinegar, parsley, chives, salt and pepper in a bowl. Add the apple, raisins and walnuts tossing to coat. Add the quinoa to the fruited vinaigrette mixture, folding and tossing to combine thoroughly.

• NilaJones
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, balloonflower!

• NilaJones
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I tried the first jar of asian pear vinegar today.

Tasting it by itself, diluted with water, it does have a touch of astringency. But used in a recipe (green beans) it is fine.

A lovely, light flavor. I'm glad I made lots!

10 years ago

Glad it worked out!
    Used mine last night in a vinaigrette for chicken salad, (olives, apple, pecans, parsley, olive oil, celery, shallots).
    I ended up with 4 gallons. One asian pear, one apple, one apple/pear combo and a concord grape. All different, all good.
    A bit of fresh lemon and a tiny tsp of honey in your salad vinaigrette will soften astringency like any vinegar.

• NilaJones
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, that chicken salad sounds really good :). Thanks, I may need to make some this week!