Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wertach2

Candied Jalapenos from Mother Earth News!

I made these yesterday and thought I would share.

3 lbs jalapeno peppers, sliced about 1/4" thick (or for milder, at least half other varieties of sweet peppers) 2 sweet onions, sliced 1/4" thick

2 cups cider vinegar

6 cups granulated sugar

1/2 tsp turmeric

1/2 tsp celery seed

3 cloves garlic, chopped

I do not remove the seeds from the jalapenos but I slice them, then put them in a colander and rinse them, using the sprayer on my sink so it has a bit of pressure. This rinses some, but not all of the seeds away.

In a large pot, bring cider vinegar, sugar, turmeric, and celery seed to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 7 minutes. Add the pepper, garlic, and onions. Once they begin to simmer again, set the timer for 5 minutes. Once the timer goes off, using a slotted spoon, remove the peppers/onions to canning jars. Fill to 1/2" from top. This should make 5 pints.

Raise the heat under the syrup and boil for 8/10 minutes. Pour the syrup over the peppers, to within 1/4" of the top of the jar. Clean the tops of the jars, and use the 2 piece lids to seal. Process in hot water bath canner for 15 minutes (for pints).

Read more: http://www.motherearthnews.com/a-modern-missouri-homesteader/canning-love-candied-jalapenos.aspx#ixzz1bbI8W0yB

Here is a link that might be useful: Candied Jalapenos