Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluefeatherhollow

Reusable one piece canning lids

bluefeatherhollow
13 years ago

Back in the late 70's or early 80's I read about some new one piece reusable canning lids. Some weeks later, I found a shopping cart full of them that hadn't sold at the grocery - as they were different from what the area farm women had ever used, no one would buy them. 10 cents a dozen - dirt cheap even then.

Since I'd just read about how good they were, I scrabbled thru my purse and used every cent I could find to buy them. No groceries for me that day. What money I had went to buying these lids, as I started canning in June with strawberry jam and ended in November with venison.

They were gold and had a VERY thick 1/2 inch ribbon of sealing compound inside, they had a raised "button" that depressed when they sealed. I used them for YEARS - first time or two in the pressure canner, then on to tomatoes and finally to jams and jellies.

I've never found anything similar, and I've long ago thrown out the last of them. Anyone out there seen anything similar? Or still have any with the information on who made them? I never had one of these seals fail - unlike the new flimsy things we see nowadays - thin metal with barely enough compound to say they put any on there.

Comments (12)

• 2ajsmama
    13 years ago

1-piece *and* reusable? I don't know of any. There was a discussion on reusable lids earlier this year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Reusable lids

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

Hi bluefeatherhollow and welcome to the forum. I remember the lids you describe although I don't remember them as reuseable or not.

Kerr used to make them and they were discontinued decades ago when USDA withdrew the re-using approval (if they are the same ones) and now Jarden owns all the USA canning supplies companies (both Ball and Kerr as well as Golden Harvest). There are some European manufacturers of course but their lids are specific to their jar sizes and shapes.

The only "reuseable" lids now offered that I know of are the plastic Tattler lids. Otherwise we are all stuck with the standard canning lids now available.

But several vendors do still offer "button top" or "lug" lids. They are all one piece ones now AFAIK and sold only in large bulk orders. fillmorecontainer.com and kitchenkrafts.com are two sources I can think of off the top of my head.

Hope this helps some.

Dave

• ltilton
    13 years ago

Another monopoly.

• zabby17
    13 years ago

bluefeatherhollow,

Here's my experience with one-piece lids, FWIW.

I've used the gold ones lids from kitchenkrafts, to make slightly fancy-looking jars to give away as favours at a friend's wedding. They worked great---the "button" popped down and made it easy to tell if they were sealed.

They were not sold as reuseable (though they weren't sold with any instructions and didn't specifically say NOT to reuse), and I haven't tried to reuse them as canning lids. I might if I were in a real pinch for lids, because the "button" would tell me if they didn't seal properly, but I would use them first as I'd be worried their seal might not hold as long. They have a thicker strip of sealing compound than the regular flat lids, but not by THAT much.

I still have a handful kicking around, and use them as lids for things that have been opened but not all eaten up and so are being kept in the fridge. Prettier than the plastic white ones sold for this purpose, and cheaper, too.

Z

• bluefeatherhollow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bummer. These were really great lids, I used them for a good ten years, over and over again, and I don't recall EVER having one fail. (Wish I could say that about the flimsy new lids they're selling these days) I have seen the ones at fillmore - they appear to have thin white sealing compound, not the robust deep orange I recall from these lids.
    I suppose we'll never see the likes of these again - it seems that home canning has gotten more and more dangerous -- yet I don't hear of many people dying from home-canned food... And certainly the 24 hour news channels would hop on something like that!!

• zabby17
    13 years ago

bluefeatherhollow,

Everything I've seen suggests not that home canning is becoming more dangerous, but that we're becoming less willing to tolerate any level of risk from it.

My guess as to why---just my guess--- is partly because of a generally lower tolerance for risk in Western society, but also because canning is seen, by most, as less and less a necessity or even a practical skill but a hobby. It's one thing to die from doing something you need to do, but another to die from doing something meant to be fun and extra tasty/nourishing/good to your family!

And, occasionally, someone does die from home-canned food. I looked up the statistics for Canada, where I live, and where the population is about 1/10 that of the US, and it seemed like about one person a year on average.

I often say on this forum that there are a LOT of things I do that are more risky than old-style canning would be, starting with crossing the street. If someone reused a canning lid or didn't put lemon juice in their tomatoes I would still happily eat them and sleep well at night!

But I mostly do follow the modern guidelines since it's not that hard and it's nice to be 100% sure. But I agree those modern lids are getting flimsier! And the packaging of them doesn't help---often they come on the jars, already attached with a light vacuum, and become a bit damaged when they come off. Grrrr!!!!!

I might try reusing the golden Kitchen Kraft lids and see what happens. I know I can tell from the curving of the lid if it's sealed or not.

Z

• brene50_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

Iam making jelly for my sons wedding.I purchase Hexagon glass 1.5oz jars,with gold lids with rubber seal in lid.I was woundering if you can cold packing or do I have to perssure cook them to make then seal or put paffine on them

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

NO cold packing and no paraffin. Using an approved recipe will provide you with the required processing instructions. For most recipes it is 10 mins. in a BWB (boiling water bath).

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Making Jams and Jellies

• Linda_Lou
    12 years ago

Never use paraffin on jars any longer..they normally seep and mold. It is an old outdated way of doing things.
    There is no such thing as "cold pack". Do you mean open kettle ? Where you just let them seal or turn the jars upside down ? If so, then you have done nothing to preserve that food. All mold spores, etc. are sealed in the jar and you only get a weak surface seal. Jams and jellies need processing in a boiling water batch canner.

• readinglady
    12 years ago

You should be able to boiling water bath with those jars. Since you're making jelly there isn't a safety risk and I know others (like Annie) who have used those sorts of jars for wedding favors.

Don't pressure can. It's unnecessary and the pressure may break the jell.

Paraffin is outmoded and unreliable. Not only that, but most people don't know how to get the paraffin out any more. Besides, you have the lids so you may as well use those.

Carol

• lilycrazy
    12 years ago

I'm surprised we even see paraffin in the stores anymore. I remember not that many years ago my mother in law would scrape off the MOLDY wax and eat whatever jam was in there. I'd certainly never use it. I do have an older canning cookbook (early 80s BH&G) that had jellies in all sorts of fancy glasses, topped with WHIPPED paraffin to look pretty.

• Dolores Cameron
    3 years ago

Yes I bought some from an elderly Canadian lady last summer. Can you tell me how to process them? They are juice 🥤 bottle size. Thank you