Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tucker303

Pumpkin Butter - What do you use it for?

tucker303
16 years ago

I made the Early American recipe...mmm mmm good! It DOES splatter so watch out. I got a burn on my check! But I digress...!

What do you use it for? I read mixing with yogurt, spread on toast...what else? Can you make a pie from it? Gotta a recipe? Anything else?

Comments (5)

• karen_b
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

We use it on toast and also cottage cheese as a side dish. Just as we do apple butter. It's delicious isnt' it. You could google pumpkin butter or apple butter I'm sure they are interchangeable.

My mother and her sisters watch our house while we were on vacation and they bring their own food. My aunt brought apple butter, but when she set it out for dinner my mother set out my homemade apple/pumpkin butter. Needless to say the quart of apple/pumpkin butter I had is now a mere scraping in the jar and my aunts' was barely touched.

• tucker303
    Original Author
    16 years ago

hmmmm...apple/pumpkin butter sounds great too! I really like "autumn" spicy things.

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

Hi...I'm over here from the Cooking Forum...yes, I like to can also. Anyway, I saw your request and thought about a dessert that I just made recently...I made it when Annie (the same Annie that posts here) came for dinner.

I think that you could use your pumpkin butter instead of the pumpkin mixture that thr recipe calls for.

Creamy Pumpkin Strudels

1 15-ounce can pumpkin

1/2 cup packed brown sugar

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

12 sheets frozen phyllo dough (18x14-inch rectangles), thawed
    NOTE: I picked up the wrong size phyllo sheets, they were 9X14, realized it when I had trouble rolling them up and had extra filling....

2/3 cup butter, melted

1 cup granulated sugar

4 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1 cup chopped pecans

1 8-ounce package cream cheese, cut into 12 slices

Whipped cream (optional)

Preheat oven to 400 degree F. For filling, in a small bowl combine pumpkin, brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Set aside.

Place 2 sheets of phyllo on top of one another and brush top sheet with some of the butter. (Keep remaining phyllo dough covered with plastic wrap to prevent it from becoming dry and brittle.) In a small bowl combine granulated sugar and 4 teaspoons cinnamon. Sprinkle a generous 2 tablespoons of cinnamon-sugar mixture over the brushed phyllo. Sprinkle with about 2 tablespoons of the pecans.

Cut the 2 layered sheets of phyllo lengthwise to create two long strips. Place a slice of cream cheese about 2 inches from end of dough strip. Spoon a well-rounded tablespoon of pumpkin mixture on top of the cream cheese.

To shape, fold bottom edge of phyllo up and over the filling. Fold in sides and roll up to encase filling. Place on a baking sheet, seam side down. Brush with some of the melted butter. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Sprinkle with any remaining sugar-cinnamon mixture. Bake for 15 minutes or until phyllo is golden brown. Serve warm with whipped cream, if desired.

Makes 12 servings

To Reheat: Cool strudels on a wire rack. Reheat within 2 hours or place cooled strudels in a covered container. Chill overnight. To reheat room temperature strudels, place strudels on a baking sheet lightly coated with nonstick cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree F oven for 10 minutes or until center is warm. Reheat chilled strudels using the same method but heat in a 400 degree F oven for 10 minutes.

Nancy

• readinglady
    16 years ago

Those strudels do look wonderful.

I think pumpkin butter could be used anywhere a spiced pumpkin mixture is called for, so that would include muffins, quick breads, pies, bar cookies, etc. In that way it's almost a homemade "fast food".

For example, this recipe would be easy to adapt:

Walnut Bread and Pumpkin Butter

Ingredients:
    1 cup unbleached flour
    3/4 cup all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    3/4 cup sugar
    3/4 cups milk
    1/4 cup walnut oil
    1 large egg
    1 Tablespoon lemon juice
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 cup chopped walnuts
    Pumpkin butter

For Pumpkin Butter:
    1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
    1/4 cup sifted powdered sugar
    1/2 cup canned pumpkin
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Walnut Bread: Combine flours, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large bowl; make a well in center of mixture. Combine milk, oil, egg, lemon juice, and vanilla; stir with a wire whisk until blended. Add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened. Stir in walnuts.

Spoon batter into a lightly greased 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a rack 10 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool completely on wire rack. Serve with pumpkin butter.
    Pumpkin Butter: Beat butter at medium speed of an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add pumpkin, cinnamon and nutmeg; mix well. Cover and chill at least 3 hours. Let butter stand at room temperature to soften before serving. I serve this in a hollowed out mini-pumpkin. Makes: 1-1/4 cups. (www.virtualcities.com)

Or this one:

Pecan Pumpkin Cranberry Muffins
    Source: Cooking.com
    18 Muffins

RECIPE INGREDIENTS

3/4 cup unsalted butter
    1 egg
    2 egg whites
    1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 1/4 cup Pecan Pumpkin Butter
    1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    2 teaspoons fresh orange juice
    3/4 cup dried cranberries
    1/4 cup brown sugar

RECIPE METHOD
    Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease muffin pans or line with paper inserts.

In the bowl of an electric mixer using the paddle attachment, cream butter and brown sugar until light and smooth. Add egg and egg whites and beat to combine.

Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt then slowly add to the butter-egg mixture in batches. Scrape down the sides of the mixer bowl, then add the Pecan Pumpkin Butter, vanilla extract, orange juice and dried cranberries and mix to combine.

Fill muffin molds 3/4 full. Bake about 25-30 minutes until a skewer inserted into a muffin comes out clean. Remove muffins from pan and cool on wire rack.

One easy way to find recipes or ideas is to go to the web sites of companies that make and sell pumpkin butters. They usually have a number of ideas for use of their product.

For example Stonewall Kitchen:

Pecan Pumpkin Bars
    Serves: 12-16

Ingredients
    2 cups flour
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    4 Tsp. baking powder
    1 Tsp. salt
    1 cup buttermilk
    1 1/2 Tsp. vanilla
    2 sticks melted butter (1 cup)
    2 cups pecans
    1 jar Stonewall Kitchen Maple Pumpkin Butter

Directions
    Grease a 9"x13" baking pan with shortening. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

Excluding the Maple Pumpkin Butter, mix all the above ingredients well. Batter will be firm.

Spread in prepared pan. Pour Maple Pumpkin Butter over batter.

Bake until bubbles have risen to the top and bars feel firm to the touch - 45 minutes.

Transfer to a rack to cool. Cool overnight or refrigerate before cutting.

Recipe Tips Serve with whipped cream.

In the bowl of an electric mixer using the paddle attachment, cream butter and brown sugar until light and smooth. Add egg and egg whites and beat to combine.
    Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt then slowly add to the butter-egg mixture in batches. Scrape down the sides of the mixer bowl, then add the Pecan Pumpkin Butter, vanilla extract, orange juice and dried cranberries and mix to combine.

Fill muffin molds 3/4 full. Bake about 25-30 minutes until a skewer inserted into a muffin comes out clean. Remove muffins from pan and cool on wire rack.

• annie1992
    16 years ago

OMG, Nancy, those strudels you served me would be wonderful with pumpkin butter in them, what a great idea!

I use pumpkin butter on quick bread, toast, scones, hot biscuits with butter and as the filling for "thumbprint" type cookies, using a ginger cookie dough in place of the butter type cookie usually used.

And sometimes I just eat it off the spoon, LOL.

Annie