Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kerry_vetter

freezing jalapenoes

Kerry Vetter
12 years ago

So... another thing that I am finding as I am gutting my garden are a TON of jalapenoes. can I freeze them? any ideas what to do with them?

thanks!

oh and I have a few ghost peppers... any recipes for those would be great!

Comments (6)

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Lots of posts here on how to use hot peppers and also about how easily the freeze and the effects that freezing has on them - makes them mushy when thawed so you have to use them accordingly.

See "Tons of unripe hot peppers - what to do?" and "freezing peppers for pepper jam" just down the page and "can I use pickled jalepenos in canning salsa?" over on page 2 and all the other discussions I linked below about freezing peppers and pepper use recipes.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: pepper discussions on freezing and use recipes

• Kerry Vetter
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks again Dave!

• drmbear Cherry
    12 years ago

I freeze big bags of them, and jalapenos are my favorites. I cut up a lot of them in small pieces that I would add to all sorts of things - I just cut them up, put them in the bag, and freeze. If I think about it, I squeeze the bag some hours into the freezing to keep them loose and not in a big clump. I also freeze some in halves, seeds and membranes removed, lengthwise, because they also work well in some recipes. I use my frozen jalapenos at least several times every week, year-round, and am usually still eating peppers from the previous year when the new ones start coming off. Since overall, I really like letting them ripen all the way to red, I'm usually still eating those frozen peppers even the next summer. Before frost, though, I pick everything that is still hanging and freeze those as well. I've used red ones to make an awesome red pepper marmelade that had the very best flavor with the jalapenos and no heat, which made my wife happy.

• Kerry Vetter
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks- when you freeze them like that they dont get soggy?

• dgkritch
    12 years ago

They definitely soften and are best used in cooked dishes, but I wouldn't necessarily call them soggy.
    Cell walls burst and if you thaw a bunch in a bowl, there will be water in the bottom.
    They're perfect for all sorts of cooked things though.
    I freeze several types of peppers, onions, celery, herbs, etc. for this use.

Deanna

• drmbear Cherry
    12 years ago

Frozen, they are certainly not like fresh, but they are way - way more crisp and fresh-like than anything you can can. When I'm cooking ground meet for a recipe I can toss in a handful - they are being cooked, and the consistency is great, almost as good as if I had used fresh. Or when frying us onions and peppers for any number of things, baked in cornbread, etc. I put a nandful that I put in the freezer last fall in the cheese grits I made this morning for breakfast. We had freezing and frost in the last week, and I have a huge tub(probably a peck - "Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers...") that I have to cut up and get in the freezer this week. I have even more sweet peppers to take care of. Peppers, along with garlic, are absolutely the most important things from my garden that hardly a day goes by all year long that I am not eating something great from my garden.