Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Next Ball Live Online Demo - PCing Chili

2ajsmama
10 years ago

Thought I'd post this in plenty of time for people to bookmark, now that I've got the right site. Last week Ball did a live online demo on canning green beans (but ran out of time before the PC was done venting). They're doing one on chili just before Halloween, Oct 29 at noon Pacific 3pm Eastern.

This link is to their demo library page, so you can use this any time in the future to see what's coming up and also to see the archived demos, though I don't see a search function.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ball video demo page

Comments (16)

• malna
    10 years ago

Thanks for the link to the canning demos - even though I got the email, I couldn't find the right link to it. Hope they get better with practice :-)

Did you get the survey about feedback on new canning products they are thinking of marketing? I thought some were pretty neat and others - meh. I did send them feedback that there was no place to add comments, as I would have answered some questions differently or at least qualified my answer had I known that.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, I got that email and did the survey last night. I agree - some products were interesting, though I thought they were overpriced, others were nothing special. I don't think we can talk specifics though.

And yes, I had to call Ball to get the correct website for the demos b/c they didn't put it in the email, or on the freshpreserving website. I guess they had it on social media but I don't do that stuff - I spend enough time on Gardenweb, don't need to do FB!

Actually, I have to get out and bag some leaves at the church right now, I've been hanging around looking at the other demos on that site waiting for it to warm up a bit but bagging leaves will get me warm in no time!

Picked breakers yesterday, the last of the green beans too (snow peas didn't do too well, I'll have to try again in the spring). Tomorrow will be the green tomatoes and I've got to get pickling b/c cold front coming in - maybe not too cold this weekend, but next week will be winter coat weather (lows around freezing, highs in the 40's)!

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Starting in 5 minutes!

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rescheduled due to technical difficulties - I'll update when they announce the new date, or if the recording becomes available online.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just checked and this is being aired tomorrow due to technical difficulties the last time. Here's the link again

Here is a link that might be useful: Ball Chili demo

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

Live at 3 pm Eastern Time. I've got a tab open.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's funny. Marla, did you see the countdown to today's demo? Now all I see is that it was live on Oct 29th (a mess) and the video that they added to the library is "private".

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Running right now. Almost finished filling jars.

http://ball.yourbrandlive.com/c/2013sale/

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I can't get it, maybe next time. All I get is a blank screen, like we used to get on the TV when all the channels were turned off.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just joined about 4:09 and they were ready to take jars out but lost video and audio kept dropping.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, that was interesting - I think they were taping it to edit and put in the library later, turned off the camera but didn't realize the mic was still on. Now those of us who tuned in know about Jessica's taste in music, her favorite sports team, etc.

So Dave, how did you fin that link? Could you see comments, since they mentioned having questions? I couldn't see any, not even my own. What recipe did they use (ground meat? Beans?)?

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

sounds like they need some lessons on doing the live feed. Maybe they will add it to the archives.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

I just went to the link you posted above, clicked on the play arrow in the center of the pic. It took me to the video, clicked Play again an it played and they were just filling jars - and making it look complicated in the process - it isn't neurosurgery after all..

It was nothing special - mostly banter back and forth between the guy filling the jars and the girl putting them into the canner. They were short when it came to filling the jars so made point of talking about how you don't process the jar left over that has too much headspace. But that you can....freeze it or put it in the fridge. Also talked about how you add extra seasonings or beans or whatever you want for personal taste AFTER you open the jars.

Didn't watch it all as lots of it was "sell our stuff" info - see our canning funnel, see our hot jar holder, here's how you use our combo lid magnet and headspace measuring tool, see our lid wrench, our Ball jar lifters, etc.

As to recipe - can't say except she mentioned it was a no beans recipe and beans are added at serving time.

Dave

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks - Hmm, when I tried "playing" the video right at 3, I got the "private" message. Oh well, thought maybe it might be good for newbies - I did learn in green beans video you don't have to preheat the lids any more - though I have been anyway, it's easy enough to have the clean lids in a small bowl and just pour some water in when you take the first jar out - though now I do it just before filling the jar with food, instead of pouring some simmering water out of a jar and putting it back in the canner to stay warm until the food is ready to be jarred up.

Thought they might have had a recipe for chunky meat instead of the ground meat in NCHFP Chili con Carne but if they didn't have beans in it, it doesn't matter, sounds like it was basically seasoned meat?

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

No this was definitely ground meat from the appearance and like I said they stressed adding beans at serving time to avoid mush. Since they made several references to BBB I would assume they used the Chili recipe from it.

And no didn't see or hear anything about questions from viewers.

Dave

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Since they weren't really taking questions then, I bet they were just referring to some discussions on their FB page about someone being nervous about PCing. I don't know why it was on a live feed, maybe just b/c they've done all their previous ones through that website. They'd have been better off recording it and putting it on Youtube or their own website.

I'm not interested in ground meat in chili - if they had been taking questions I would have liked to ask about using meat cubes but you think I could make the NCHFP Chili con Carne with meat cubes instead of ground? Or even the Ball Complete (which sounds like the recipe they used, some BBB recipes are different but some are the same) which doesn't use beans, but use cubes in that?

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH