Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mamajanna

Looking for ways to use jalape�o's

mamajanna
10 years ago

I have a bumper crop of jalepeno's and I am wondering what else I can do with them besides plain hot pepper jelly. Looking for a recipe that has sweet and heat, like hot pepper and fruit jelly combined. Open to other suggestions. Thanks.

Comments (10)

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

Apple jalapeno, mint jalapeno, make Habanero Gold (I like Carol's Confetti jelly version) with jalapenos instead.

Someone had mentioned a strawberry hab jam, could use jals instead but strawberries are out of season. I make cranberry lime jal jam/relish (depends on how much sugar you use and how finely you chop the fruit as to what you'd call it).

Peach Jam for a Cold Morning is good - can use any hot peppers.

Lots of jam/jelly recipes out there with peppers - don't just search for "jalapeno", just "pepper" and you'd find more options.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

-- Pickle them whole, sliced ....
    -- Blanch and freeze them
    -- make salsa (puree type, salsa verde ..), freeze.

-- with the red ones might try chopping and drying to make something like paprika. They have good mass.

• malna
    10 years ago

Some fruits that I think complement a hot pepper jelly are peaches/nectarines (Peach Jam for Cold Mornings mentioned above for example), apricots (there's an apricot-pepper jelly on the UC Davis Extension site in addition to Habanero Gold and Carol's Confetti jelly), cranberries (Melly's Cranberry-Jalapeno Jelly is very good) and cherries.

If you need help finding recipes, just ask.

• ekgrows
    10 years ago

Cowboy Candy?

• mamajanna
    Original Author
    10 years ago

where do I search to find the recipe for the strawberry/jalapeno pepper jelly? I have LOTS of frozen berries. could I thaw them and use them for the jelly? or do I need to use fresh? I would also love recipe with peach/jalapeno. I can still get peaches here for a bit. (TN / GA border. Thank you all so much for your help!!!!!

• mamajanna
    Original Author
    10 years ago

found them! THANK YOU AGAIN!!!

• CA Kate z9
    10 years ago

I posted this a few years ago and made some just a few weeks ago. I didn't have quite enough jalapeños and so added some extra tiny tomatoes and a tablespoon of sugar. I think this batch was the best ever.

"This is a good one to make with either all green or all red jalapeno peppers to get a nice color; if you mix colors it tastes good but isn't as pretty.

Lee Fanucchi's (Fresno County Master Gardener)
    Red Devil Sauce

1 pound of jalapeno peppers
    1 cup cider vinegar
    2 tablespoons salt
    2-3 cloves of garlic

Place in blender and push "chop" button to process adding peppers as you go. Place in glass jar and store in refrigerator. Will last up to two years. Can use either red or green peppers.

Fresno Bee
    Setember 13, 2001"

• gallery725
    10 years ago

Also candied jalapeños

Sugar & apple cider vinegar, jalapeños on the stove for 5 min then can.

We eat them like candy!

• gardnwatch
    10 years ago

Hey Midnightgardeners...your candied jalapenos sound great. How much sugar and apple cider vinegar do you use?
    How long do you process after putting them in jars?
    Thanx,
    Gardnwatch

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

Just search for Cowboy Candy - they're candied jalapenos.