Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Floating Applesauce?

Posted by orffbear (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 10, 13 at 9:42

Hi everyone,

I've canned applesauce for years using the Ball Book recipe/ procedure. It seemed like the first batch I did this year had more air - the texture just looked odd - more foamy (although no actual foam) than solid, if that makes any sense. Tasted fine, although again, a little less "solid" than previous years. I went ahead and canned it, but when I removed the canning lid, one jar was floating on its side. All lids sealed, but this morning, there is a liquid separation at the bottom of the jars and distinct air bubbles in the sauce part.

Any thoughts as to why this is? The only thing I can come up with is that the apples were somehow different. I did use a slightly different mix of apples than previously because they were here and needed to be dealt with. It is only a small batch, so no great loss.

Your comments welcome.

Thanks,
sarah

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Floating Applesauce?

Some apples have more air in their cells than others. It sounds as though it was too thick if it has the bubbles and separated. It will be fine, though. Applesauce should move in the jars when you gently shake them. If it doesn't, it is too thick.

o

My apple chunks are more 'floaty' than usual. Might be the year. My jars were actually floating in the BWB, qt jars filled correctly and at the end of the processing time, 2-3 jars were floating. I was worried about the jars possibly be broken, but that wasn't the case. This happened to 5-8 batches out of the 12-15 batches that I did. All apples were from 2 trees and it didn't matter which tree the apples were from.

All sealed fine, but I will be watching.

o

Thanks everyone. It does move in the jars as in previous years, just a different textural thing, I guess. Since it was just a small batch (all sealed), I put it in the refrigerator anyway. It will be used for cooking in the near future, so I'm not worried. Just curious.

Thanks again,
Sarah

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here