Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
worm_ct

Cranberry chutney - reduced sugar?

worm_ct
14 years ago

I found a yummy cranberry chutney recipe that sounds similar to one I made a couple of years back.

Can I reduce the amount of sugar? The recipe calls for two cups, but I like chutney on the tart side, not so sweet. Also, IÂm hoping to give some away as gifts around the holidays, and IÂve made low sugar versions of jams (using Pomona pectin)

I know cranberries have alot of pectin in them naturally, so the recipe does not call for pectin. Commercial pectin does rely on a specific proportion of fruit to sugar to set.. do cranberries?

does anyone know?

thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: the yummy chutney recipe

Comments (10)

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

You are assuming this is a safe recipe to can? Even though it has no added acid (no vinegar or lemon juice), contains low-acid ingredients, and no processing instructions?

Your choice to can at your own risk if you wish but IMO this is a "make-to-eat-fresh-recipe" only. Yes you can reduce the sugar. The sugar isn't a safety factor.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Preservation Principles in Making Chutneys

• worm_ct
    Original Author
    14 years ago

the recipe says its safe for canning

'Pack into sterilized half-pint jars, and follow your favorite directions to process in boiling water bath canner. Makes 11-12 half pints.'

I would be doing pressure canning, not boiling water

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

There are thousands of recipes out there that "say" they are safe for canning but they aren't safe. They have just been made up by someone with no food science background or formal training in food safety. And they don't come from reliable sources that vet their recipes or that follow the established safe tested home canning guidelines. They are canned at your own risk.

The first clue is the canning "instructions" provided with this one - a sort of do-your-own-thing-whatever approach to processing. ;) Safe, approved recipes provide detailed instructions and specific processing times. Sure you can pressure can it but you'd still have no assurance of a safe food pH. And you'd have no way of knowing how long it would remain safe on the shelf. With no added acid the pH would not remain in a safe pH range.

Chutneys require some form added acid to be safely canned. The link I provided above outlines the safety guidelines for canning chutneys and also provides safe, tested, and approved recipes. Compare this one if you wish to the many approved chutney recipes and you'll see the differences.

I agree that it sounds like a tasty recipe but per the established guidelines it can't be safely canned. But it is your choice since we each have to decide how much risk we can tolerate.

Dave

• annie1992
    14 years ago

worm, you can reduce the amont of sugar in that recipe since chutney doesn't really "jell", it gets cooked until it thickens.

As Dave pointed out, the acidity level is the real problem with this recipe. You could pressure can it, as you noted, but timing and density would be "best guess" information and carry no guarantees of safety.

If you like tart rather than sweet, the addition of some red wine vinegar or lemon juice might be a delicious way to go anyway. Use fruit proportions as stated in approved canning recipes, and keep the spices you like in place of the ones called for in other recipes. Spices in the same amounts are interchangeable.

As Dave noted, approved recipes are the only ones guaranteed to be safe for canning. But if I can an approved recipe which I don't really like, I'm defeating my own purpose of canning things that will be consumed. I tend to adjust seasonings and ingredients to make things the way my family likes them, swap amounts of one fruit for like amounts of another fruit, etc.

As has been mentioned, the amount of risk you are comfortable taking varies and is only determinable by each individual.

Annie

• malna
    14 years ago

You might like this one from Katie C.

Cranberry Chutney

Recipe By : Katie, 1998
    Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Preserving

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 c chopped Granny Smith apple
    1 c raisins
    1 c chopped onion
    1 c sugar
    1 c white vinegar
    3/4 c chopped celery
    3/4 c water
    2 tsp cinnamon
    1 1/2 tsp ginger
    1/4 tsp cloves
    1 bag fresh cranberries -- (12 oz.)

Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat ans simmer, uncovered 30 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring occasionally. To can, Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes. Makes 4 - 1/2 pints.

• malna
    14 years ago

I'd like to make the Katie C's cranberry chutney recipe (above) this weekend.

What do you think about these substitutions?

For the:
    1 c raisins (use dried cranberries?)
    1 c white vinegar (use apple cider vinegar?)
    3/4 c chopped celery (use Swiss chard stems?)
    3/4 c water (use fresh orange juice + the zest + whatever water to make 3/4 c?)

I think I'm OK on the safety side but I just wanted to make sure (this is just for me, so taste is secondary for this batch). Plus this will use up some bits and pieces of things I have.

Thanks!

• readinglady
    14 years ago

Everything is fine except for the Swiss chard stems. I don't know how much leeway there is in this recipe. Swiss chard is a higher pH (i.e. less acid) than celery by quite a bit. So I wouldn't recommend it.

I'm kind of having trouble wrapping my head around the stems in a chutney anyway. I fear there'd be unappealing textural changes due to the heat processing.

Carol

• malna
    14 years ago

Carol,
    Thanks for the "review". I really appreciate the time you took to respond. I'll let you know how it turns out. My crew is very amenable to eating experiments (properly canned safe ones, just so you don't misunderstand), so this small of a batch won't be wasted.

• readinglady
    14 years ago

I was glad to do it, malna. It wasn't any trouble at all.

I will be interested to hear how it turns out. The orange juice, cider vinegar and dried cranberries sound like delicious amendments.

Carol

• malna
    14 years ago

The chutney turned out delicious (and pretty, too). I love the tart/sweet/spicy flavors. Here's a spoonful I had left - yummy on a piece of cheese for the cook's treat.

Thanks for your help, Carol (and KatieC for the inspiration).

Here is a link that might be useful: Cranberry Chutney