Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
john__showme__usa

Canning smoked ham hocks?

John__ShowMe__USA
13 years ago

Discovered aprox 6 lbs smoked, uncooked ham hocks in the freezer. I pressure cooked in large canner with stalk celery, large carrot, an onion with maybe a gallon water for 30 min at 15 lbs. Let cool, skimmed off most of the fat, removed the skin, removed the bones and shredded the meat. Saved just the meat and a quart or so of the liquid. Made a meal of the carrot, celery, onion and some meat. Really needed some salt.

Would like to can in pint jars to use the meat and liquid as additives in some future burrito mix. (rice, beans, etc) How much salt would you add per pint and how long should I process? Anything else you would add? Its rather bland now and has just a hint of smoke flavor. Had expected smokier and saltier.

Thanks,

jt

Comments (10)

• readinglady
    13 years ago

You process the same as for any other meat, 75 minutes for pints and 90 minutes for quarts. Altitude adjustments as appropriate.

The main thing is not to overpack the shredded meat. Make sure there's plenty of liquid.

I probably wouldn't add more salt because it's just as easy to add during the cooking process, but if I did I'd go by the saltiness of the broth not the meat, as it's going to infuse during processing. If you still feel the mixture is too bland, I'd go with a minimal amount this first time around, no more than half the recommendation. 1/2 tsp. per pint, 1 tsp. per quart.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP Canning Meats Ground, Strips or Cubes

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

Too bad you didn't save all the stock. That would have made some great soup - plain or with some beans added. Ham and bean soup with cornbread in the winter! Can't be beat. You can always freeze or can any meat/vegetable stock you have to add to other dishes later.

Dave

• John__ShowMe__USA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Carol,

Thanks for the fast answer and today is the day. After sitting in the fridge for a few days the shredded meat and liquid seem much saltier even though I didn't add salt. I think will add just 1/8 tsp per pint jar and process for 75 min @ 15 lbs.

Dave writes: "Too bad you didn't save all the stock".

Actually I did... kinda. I learned the hard way not to pour fatty liquid down the drain, so all the scraps and liquid went into the freezer to wait for trash day. Going to put it all in the pressure cooker with more water and cook again for 30 min and then strain the liquid. Should get at least two quarts liquid, maybe three. Think I will process & save just like I do chicken stock and beef stock.

Is there any way I can process the pint jars of meat and quart jars of stock at the same time? 75 min at 15 lbs pressure. Or do I have to put the stock in pints?

Thanks for the answers and suggestions!

jt

• sharonann1
    13 years ago

Meat stock -- well defatted first -- cans for 20 min pints or 25 minutes quarts, pressure adjusted for altitude. You can always can jars longer, so you could put the stock in the same load as the meat if you don't mind having the stock "cooking" longer in the canner.

Here is a link that might be useful: canning meat stock

• John__ShowMe__USA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

> You can always can jars longer, so you could put the stock in the same load as the meat if you don't mind having the stock "cooking" longer in the canner.

Thanks, sharonann1

I cooked the strained liquid down from a gal or so to 4 pints concentrated 'hock stock'. Will process everything in pints.

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

'hock stock'

Would love to see the labels on those jars! Canned hock stock - there's a CW song in there somewhere. ;)

Dave

• readinglady
    13 years ago

Personally I'd go ahead and put the stock in quarts, if that's more convenient, and the meat in pints. Can for the pint time for meats.

It doesn't make any difference to stock how long it's in the canner and if you can fit all the jars in in one load so much the better.

Carol

• tracydr
    13 years ago

I'd put the stock up with some pinto or navy beans. In fact, I'd do the stock and meat that way. Ham and beans, mmmm.

• John__ShowMe__USA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Everything is in pints. What a waste of time and $! Smoked ham hocks are just not all that good & will never buy again.

• tracydr
    13 years ago

Next time, go for the ham and beans in quarts for insta-meals. Totally worth it!