Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meta_gw

Sauerkraut with VINEGAR

meta
15 years ago

Yes, I know, all a really good sauerkraut recipe really needs is cabbage and salt, and currently, I have about 45 pounds of fermenting.

But I have 2 heads left and I'll be damned if I'm going to piece together something to ferment these. Does anyone know a Kraut recipe to make the more or less store bought type using vinegar? I'm also really just want to experiment as well...

Thanks.

Comments (9)

• kayskats
    15 years ago

interested in something different .... such as

Pickled Freezer Cabbage

Source: Ziedrich The Joy of Pickling
    #FREEZER RECIPE
    Makes 2 quarts
    *Freezer/Refrigerator recipe

2 pounds shredded green cabbage
    1 cup shredded green bell peppers
    1 cup shredded onions
    1 cup shredded carrots
    1 tbsp pickling salt
    2 cups sugar
    1 1/2 cups cider vinegar

In a bowl, toss the shredded vegetables with the salt and let stand 2 to 3 hours.
    Drain the vegetables, pressing out excess liquid. Combine the sugar and vinegar, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Pour the syrup over the drained vegetables and mix well.
    Pack the vegetables and syrup in freezer containers and freeze.
    Thaw for about 8 hours in refrigerator before serving.

or Freezer Slaw
    Source: Ball Blue Book
    #FREEZER RECIPE
    Yield: about 5 pints

2 lbs cabbage
    1 large green bell pepper
    3 large carrots
    3/4 cup chopped onion
    1 tsp salt
    2 cups sugar
    1 tsp dry mustard
    1 tsp celery seeds
    1 cup cider vinegar
    1/2 cup water

Shred cabbage, green pepper and carrots. Add onion. Sprinkle with salt; let stand 1 hour. Drain. Combine remaining ingredients in a saucepot. Bring to a boil; boil 3 minutes. Cool. Ladle liquid over cabbage mixture; let stand 5 minutes. Stir well. Pack slaw into can-or-freeze jars or plastic freezer boxes, leaving 1/2" headspace. Seal, label and freeze.

Yes, they're sweet... that's the secret to crip pickles in the freezer

kay

• meta
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Kay, those look good!

Got any for canning? There's gotta be one!

• kayskats
    15 years ago

nah ... I'm the only kraut eater in the house, so I don't do it ... besides, I've reached the stage in life that looks for the easy way out .... and the freezer is the easiest.
    kay

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

Rummage Relish uses up 1 head of cabbage and is canned. It's the only canned cabbage recipe I find in any of my books as cabbage tolerates freezing better than canning.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Rummage Relish

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

Try apple cider vinegar if you do plan to make some.

• melva02
    15 years ago

Meta, just a note, the distinctive sauerkraut flavor comes from lactic acid, the product of fermentation. So using vinegar instead will give you more of a pickled flavor and not the lactic acid flavor. Still good, but maybe not what you would call sauerkraut.

Melissa

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

Adding a bit of citric acid can also create a similar taste to lactic acid, but as mentioned, there is nothing like teh real thing. My half sour cukes produce the lactic acid, but just for a few days. I add a tablespoon of vinegar to the jars once placed in the fridge. If I taste them now, they seem to have a vinegar brine taste, even though they had just that litt bit of vinegar added. I make half gallon size jars.

• k2tkj
    8 years ago

Forget the new school way.I'm Ukrainian.Cut cabbage into thin strips.Put on a huge jar or bowl.I like the jar hand grind less mess.Add 1 tbl spoon canning salt.and grind away till water from the cabbage if forming.The more grinding the more juice.Now I leave in the same jar for grinding as fermenting.Cut a coffee can lid to the size of the inside diameter of your jar.Place on top of your mash with a smaller jar filled with water or equivelent.Place on center of cut lid.Wait 3 days or better.When you have your taste I use vinager to stop the fermentation and referigate.Just top it off.I also add cyanne pepper.

• digdirt2
    8 years ago

I wouldn't use an aluminum coffee can lid as it is a reactive metal and will give it a metallic taste. So I assume you meant a plastic coffee can lid.

And only 1 Tbl of salt regardless of the size of the jar or bowl (you say "huge") or the amount of shredded cabbage in your jar or bowl??

We all have different sizes of jars and bowls so that would be considered a safe level of salt in most cases. Salt needs to be added per the weight of the cabbage for safe fermentation, not the size of the container.

So "forgetting the new school way" may not be the best way to go. :)

Dave