Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dehydrating Peaches and Tomatoes

Posted by OldHippieMomma none (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 16, 12 at 10:25

I have a peach tree that never had fruit on it until this year - when it produced a bumper crop. I picked about 30 lbs of peaches last week to bring indoors to ripen (freezing temps were predicted). I've starting canning them but I also want to try dehydrating some. Since these are not free stone peaches, I can't really cut them into wedges. So, I'm looking for tips that will help me be successful with the ones I dehydrate.

I also have a lot of tomatoes. I plan to can them but thought I might try dehydrating some of them, as well. I don't know if they are the best variety for drying, so any tips there would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dehydrating Peaches and Tomatoes

Personally I gave up on drying peaches years back because they take so long 36-48 hours and need to be sulfured (soaked in sulfites) first. But I linked the instructions from NCHFP below. Just scroll down to Peaches.

Tomatoes, especially roma/paste types are easy to do and many folks here do them so lots of discussions and info here about the various ways to do them. Use 'dry tomatoes' to pull up those discussions with the search.

Personally we cut romas and/or cherry tomatoes in half, sprinkle them with various seasonings, and dehydrate them for about 8 hours so they are still somewhat flexible, and then store them in ziplock bags in the freezer to use as needed. We like those better than fully dried to crisp. They also make good fruit rollups.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Dehydrating Fruits and Vegetables

o
RE: Dehydrating Peaches and Tomatoes

I had a similar peach issue earlier this season, and we needed to dry quite a few of them. It was a lot easer to work with them when they're still a bit hard - cut in half, twist off one half, then cut the half with the seed into half again, then pull off one of those 1/4 pieces. Then used a clean pair of pliers to pull the pit out of the remaining quarter. This works for most of them, there is still some spoilage when the peaches just won't cooperate.

Drying almost-ripe peaches works out just fine. Here, it takes 24 hours, and I don't use any thing to retain the color so they turn dark tan.

As for peeling them, we as a family decided that if the kids wanted peeled peaches, they could peel them, and that settled that.

They taste great as snacks, chopped up in granola or gorp, and so on.

As for tomatoes, I slice them in 1/2 inch thick slices and place those on the dehydrator trays. I don't care for flavoring them when drying, but thats a personal preference.

o
clarification

I should have described the process better - run a knife around the circumference of the peach, down to the pit. Then twist off half of it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here