Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Green chile powder

Posted by spiced_ham z5 OH (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 26, 10 at 10:34

Hi All,

My hopes for red chile powder from my Ancho and Pasilla peppers are down the drian due to late/non ripening (although I did get a couple of big jars full from my chimayo and guajillo peppers). I have all of the frozen roasted green chiles I need for the year (Big Jim), so I am wondering about drying my green chiles for powder but I have some questions.

1) What do you use green chile powder for?

2) Should I roast them first for flavor, even if I don't plan on skinning them?

3) How much difference will there be among varieties, ancho, pasilla, and guajillo (will they all make good green powder?)

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Green chile powder

I've dehydrated diced up green chili, both roasted and not, and the roasted is considerably better - particularly if you could do it on a wood fire to get a bit of smoke flavor.

At the end of it, I don't think you'll notice much difference between varieties when they're green - I'd be tempted to just mix them all together. You should seed them, or the end result will look like a bag of seeds that wasn't properly cleaned. :-) Ask me how I know.....

We don't do a whole lot of it, preferring the frozen or fermented, but the summer of 2009 we dried a batch and used it in back packing food recipes with instant rice, noodles and such.

o

david52, would you tell us more about fermenting peppers? DH will not eat sauerkraut or kim chee, but he never met a pepper he did not like.

spiced ham, I have also dehydrated peppers of different kinds for backpacking foods. If I don't use it all backpacking, I either grind it or not, and add it to soups. I bet it would be good added in enchilada sauce too.

I prefer to keep poblanos and its cohorts by grilling, peeling, seeding and freezing flat.

o

Here's a recent thread on the subject - basically, its the same thing as making sauerkraut, except using peppers - roughly chop up the red ones and use them just like cabbage, or for green chili, roast them and add a lacto-bacterial starter culture.

Good stuff.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

I can't think of any reason that you couldn't dry green peppers into chili powder. I'd use it just like I use the red.

If you fire roast them, you are going to have to skin them. Flavor on roasted peppers is much better than raw. Skinning and de-seeding is the least amount of work involved in roasting peppers.

To me, all kinds of green peppers taste just like green bell peppers, only with varying degrees of heat. Roasting is what brings out the flavor. However, green bell peppers do add good pepper flavor to cooked foods, so raw powder would not be a waste.

o

Thank you david52. I saw that thread back then but figured it was only for hot peppers. I am looking for a way to ferment mostly sweet peppers, but from what I read in the discussion linked it is all the same, unless pre-roasted.

o

Cabrita, I think you could ferment the same way I did my hot peppers last summer. Just purée, salt and, if yo want, add some yogurt starter. My thread should be easy to find. I added a little garlic. I just had some for lunch in bean soup and the flavor is so good compared to vinegar pickled hot sauce.

o

Thanks for the ideas everyone.

o

I'm looking for some ways to utilize the green/red chile powder too. We purchased our powder at Hatch NM. I've been reading your posts and haven't seen any ideas yet...maybe I read the beginning post wrong. If so, sorry... but I would REALLY like it if someone could send me to a link or email suggestions about how to use the powder. Reconsitution ration would be good... rubs, soups, etc... thanks;)

o

I don't know what the benefit of reconstituting it with water would be. For uses, think along the lines of paprika -

We mix it in with rice. Scrambled eggs.

The biggest consumer was green chili pork - caramelize pork bits, add onion, garlic, chicken stock, powdered green chili, simmer / bake in the oven on low until pork disintegrates.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here