Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spiced_ham

Green chile powder

spiced_ham
13 years ago

Hi All,

My hopes for red chile powder from my Ancho and Pasilla peppers are down the drian due to late/non ripening (although I did get a couple of big jars full from my chimayo and guajillo peppers). I have all of the frozen roasted green chiles I need for the year (Big Jim), so I am wondering about drying my green chiles for powder but I have some questions.

1) What do you use green chile powder for?

2) Should I roast them first for flavor, even if I don't plan on skinning them?

3) How much difference will there be among varieties, ancho, pasilla, and guajillo (will they all make good green powder?)

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Comments (9)

• david52 Zone 6
    13 years ago

I've dehydrated diced up green chili, both roasted and not, and the roasted is considerably better - particularly if you could do it on a wood fire to get a bit of smoke flavor.

At the end of it, I don't think you'll notice much difference between varieties when they're green - I'd be tempted to just mix them all together. You should seed them, or the end result will look like a bag of seeds that wasn't properly cleaned. :-) Ask me how I know.....

We don't do a whole lot of it, preferring the frozen or fermented, but the summer of 2009 we dried a batch and used it in back packing food recipes with instant rice, noodles and such.

• cabrita
    13 years ago

david52, would you tell us more about fermenting peppers? DH will not eat sauerkraut or kim chee, but he never met a pepper he did not like.

spiced ham, I have also dehydrated peppers of different kinds for backpacking foods. If I don't use it all backpacking, I either grind it or not, and add it to soups. I bet it would be good added in enchilada sauce too.

I prefer to keep poblanos and its cohorts by grilling, peeling, seeding and freezing flat.

• david52 Zone 6
    13 years ago

Here's a recent thread on the subject - basically, its the same thing as making sauerkraut, except using peppers - roughly chop up the red ones and use them just like cabbage, or for green chili, roast them and add a lacto-bacterial starter culture.

Good stuff.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• oregonwoodsmoke
    13 years ago

I can't think of any reason that you couldn't dry green peppers into chili powder. I'd use it just like I use the red.

If you fire roast them, you are going to have to skin them. Flavor on roasted peppers is much better than raw. Skinning and de-seeding is the least amount of work involved in roasting peppers.

To me, all kinds of green peppers taste just like green bell peppers, only with varying degrees of heat. Roasting is what brings out the flavor. However, green bell peppers do add good pepper flavor to cooked foods, so raw powder would not be a waste.

• cabrita
    13 years ago

Thank you david52. I saw that thread back then but figured it was only for hot peppers. I am looking for a way to ferment mostly sweet peppers, but from what I read in the discussion linked it is all the same, unless pre-roasted.

• tracydr
    13 years ago

Cabrita, I think you could ferment the same way I did my hot peppers last summer. Just purée, salt and, if yo want, add some yogurt starter. My thread should be easy to find. I added a little garlic. I just had some for lunch in bean soup and the flavor is so good compared to vinegar pickled hot sauce.

• spiced_ham
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the ideas everyone.

• durandconnie_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I'm looking for some ways to utilize the green/red chile powder too. We purchased our powder at Hatch NM. I've been reading your posts and haven't seen any ideas yet...maybe I read the beginning post wrong. If so, sorry... but I would REALLY like it if someone could send me to a link or email suggestions about how to use the powder. Reconsitution ration would be good... rubs, soups, etc... thanks;)

• david52 Zone 6
    13 years ago

I don't know what the benefit of reconstituting it with water would be. For uses, think along the lines of paprika -

We mix it in with rice. Scrambled eggs.

The biggest consumer was green chili pork - caramelize pork bits, add onion, garlic, chicken stock, powdered green chili, simmer / bake in the oven on low until pork disintegrates.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths