Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

No dividers in quart jar boxes now?

2ajsmama
9 years ago

I just bought some RM quarts with coupon at Job Lot, no dividers between jars so I just figured that's why the Lot had them. But jars on sale (online price but could pick up in store, I didn't order online but they honored it) at Target and same thing! When did they stop putting dividers in? The halfpints I got at Target still had them so I'm not sure what size jars they start leaving them out of (pint and a half? I think pints might still have had them but I really didn't look)?

Geez, just when you think the packaging couldn't get worse...

Comments (9)

• balloonflower
    9 years ago

I don't think I've ever bought RM pints or WM quarts that had dividers. All the half pints do, but I don't think the 4oz ones do. Hmmm....

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I haven't bought quarts at all before, but I got 11 quarts new from Freecycle a couple of years ago, I traded them for WM halfpints (mistake) to my cousin, but I think they had dividers. The old boxes (with lids) of quarts I bought at yard sales of course have dividers. Very handy for storing the (full or empty) jars in. I guess it's time to hit the liquor stores looking for dividers, maybe boxes too (though they're too tall, I have 1 I've stacked empty quarts in but that won't work for full ones).

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    9 years ago

Like balloonflower, the only boxes of Ball jars I've seen with dividers are the half-pints. I haven't seen any Kerr or Golden Harvest jars for sale around here (other than overpriced single jars at a "dollar" store) so can't say about them.

Rodney

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Haven't seen dividers in them ever since they started shrink wrapping them rather than boxing them. That's been several years.

Dave

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I guess I haven't bought new jars (besides halfpints) in years. I washed a dozen and was putting them back in the flat until I need them (doing tomato puree - sauce/soup? today) and noticed that they were very tight, had to go in just so, the embossed designs were scraping the other jars. I left the outside edges of the shrink wrap on to hold the jars in place since the cardboard is so much lower than the tops of the jars.

How does everybody else store their full quarts? I have some on open shelving, but that filled up and I'm afraid to knock jars off trying to get things out of the back, of course I can't stack loose jars. But my old boxes with dividers are full now - I even have a single layer of full jars in that old liquor box that used to have double layer of empties.

Now I have to look at the pint-and-a-half jars I bought a couple years ago when they first came back, I'm still using the vintage ones so haven't opened those.

• balloonflower
    9 years ago

The pint and halfs do come with dividers. I keep all mine on wire shelving in the boxes--they do fit tight, and it works. Not much help to you if you don't have the boxes though.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah, I checked this afternoon and my p+1/2's have dividers. The only pints I've bought lately were with my PC and came in heavy box with heavy dividers. I've got a lot of old boxes that jars from yard sales and Goodwill came in, but I've got a lot more jars from my godmother and now new that aren't in boxes. Smaller ones can go in the wooden clementine boxes and stack OK, but quarts are a problem.

If TSC puts those plastic Save-A-Jar or whatever they're called on sale I may spring for a couple - but liquor store boxes are free.

• calliope
    9 years ago

I used to own a range of greenhouses, and my bulk flower bulbs came in wonderful rigid, heavy plastic crates. No lids on the crates, but they're stackable and get this...................hold exactly twenty four quart jars, filled. Just tall enough that when you stack the next crate, the upper crate does not come in contact with the contents of the one below them. I have stacked them eight high next to my pantry shelves. A stack of eight is two hundred quarts.

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

I make that 192... :-)

This post was edited by kudzu9 on Sun, Oct 12, 14 at 0:22

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH