Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennieboyer

Plastisol lined caps?

jennieboyer
11 years ago

Hi - I was poking around looking for some glass jars to use for some bath salts I am making and found some that I'd really like to use for canning as well. I am able to buy plastisol lined caps to use with them. The company says these are safe for canning, but I'm not sure I understand how to process them. First, are these safe? Second, how would I BWB use them?

Thanks!

Comments (6)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Could you link to this company/source please so we know what you are talking about for sure?

dave

• jennieboyer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Dave,

Sure can - here's the link :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Plastisol caps

• readinglady
    11 years ago

I've used those, though I bought mine from a honey supply company.

They are food-safe. I use them for gifted BWB items and heat (warm) them the same way I do Ball or Kerr flats.

Carol

• jennieboyer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Carol,

At the risk of sounding stupid - a flat is a lid? Just heat it up in warm water prior to using like the regular canning lids? Can it be heated too much?

How does the pricing compare to what you were able to get?

Thanks!

Jennie

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Yeah a 'flat' is a lid.

I agree with Carol that as long as you are using them only for high acid canning they work fine. Some use them in a limited fashion for gifting when they want a special appearance but the cost is prohibitive for routine canning use.

But they aren't recommended for low-acid canning and especially not for pressure canning and they do have a higher seal failure rate so I'd recommend a limited use only.

Same goes for any jars you might buy from there - acidic foods, BWB canning only. Stick with the approved 2 piece lids and regular canning jars otherwise.

Dave

• readinglady
    11 years ago

I have no idea how the pricing compares because it's been some time since I ordered, but it does give you an idea that there's more than one source for this kind of thing ranging from the very pricy (KitchenKrafts.com) to the moderate and some research is a worthwhile investment of your time. You might even find a local supplier in a nearby metropolitan center.

The one benefit of a source like KitchenKrafts is you can purchase a dozen or so to try them out and determine if a larger number is worth the investment or suits your needs.

We have had a number of members in the past who have used these lids for homemade wedding favors, that sort of thing and all have found they worked just fine for jams, other preserves, salsas, etc.

A flat is the flat part that rests on the top of the jar while the part with threads is the ring. The one-piece lid combines both functions. I haven't noticed the higher failure rate Dave mentioned but I do know it can be a bit more difficult to detect a seal.

I do not boil the lids as that can risk deterioration of the sealant. As with Ball or Kerr lids, you want to warm sufficiently to make the seal malleable without damaging it.

Carol