Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hot pepper mustard

Posted by ahbee01 z5 OH (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 16, 12 at 11:01

I have seen a few friends talking about a recipe with mustard and hot peppers,some call it a hot pepper butter! Is there a recipe out there to can, or is it meant to be made and refrigerated? If it is meant to be kept in the fridge,does anyone have a recipe they like. I want to share a recipe, but want to clarify if it can be canned, or just put in jars and kept in the fridge! I see lots of recipes for processing and they have flour! So I don't want to give wrong info! here is a sample recipe! I also seen where people talked about using sure jell in place of flour!
1 quart prepared yellow mustard
1 quart cider vinegar
6 cups sugar
1 1/4 cups flour
1 1/2 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
Peppers as follows:
36 large banana peppers or 40 medium banana peppers or 50 small banana peppers

Directions

If you are new to canning.On this web site search canning 101 it will give you info on how to water bath your canning jars.Also all you need to know about canning

1.Seed and chop peppers. (I use a food processor to chop the peppers tiny).

2.Mix everything together. Boil for 5 minutes,Stirring Constantly, or until desired thickness.

3.Ladle into hot, sterilized jars. Cap with hot lid and of course the ring and process in hot water bath for 10 minutes.

4.Enjoy. If not selling or giving away you may want to can in quart jars this doesn't last long!
But if you don't use a lot at one time use pint jars.

How to store: Unopened,Store in a cool dark place about 2 years. Opened: Refrigerate
Thanks to any who one replies!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hot pepper mustard

My guess is there's minimal risk because the mustard, vinegar and sugar create an inhospitable environment for bacteria, despite the peppers. But, the point is, I'm just guessing.

Refrigeration is definitely the appropriate option. I find the reference to selling or giving away an unknown recipe especially scary. The risk we take for ourselves is one thing, but we shouldn't impose it on others.

Carol

o

Agree with everything Carol said above. Especially the part about gifting and risky recipes and with all that flour I sure wouldn't gift it.

Plus Canning 101 leads to lots of unreliable sources of info. What is the source of this particular recipe?

I browsed through about 10-12 recipes for Hot Pepper Mustard and the majority of them are not for canning, fridge storage only.

Does that help answer your questions?

Dave

o

Since the peppers are cooked in the mixture that should pretty thoroughly acidify them. But it's so thick it's hard to imagine 10 minutes would achieve adequate heat penetration. Basically you're just sealing the jars, at least in the larger sizes.

Another issue is taste. All that heat doesn't do any mustard much good.

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here