Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about All American 921 canner

Posted by moogies z8, D/FW Texas (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 10, 12 at 11:07

My 921 AA canner is supposed to hold 19 pints - it came with 2 racks and I should be able to stack 2 levels. When I measured the inside, it's only 10.5" deep and there's no way I could load 2 levels of pint jars inside, with 1.5" water covering it.

What am I missing here? I would love to be able to process an entire batch without having to load and reload, with all the additional processing times.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about All American 921 canner

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 10, 12 at 12:00

Moogies, is the canner or pressure canning new to you? Have you read through the manual? It sounds like you may be comparing it to a water bath process.

I don't have the All American (my larger canners are vintage Mirro) but the jar capacity with the second rack and layer is for pressure canning - the jars don't need to be covered with water for that processing. Approx 3" or as described in your manual should be plenty of water for even those things you are processing longest, like fish/meat.

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - canner operation

o

Sorry but you are confusing pressure canning with BWB canning. Very different things.

In pressure canning water does NOT cover the jars. That is only in BWB canning.

Your model will pressure can a double layer of jars with no problems with the manual's instructions of 3-4 inches of water added. It will NOT BWB can a double layer of jars.

Dave

o

I have a 921 and PC two layers of jars all the time, but it's a bit of a tight squeeze and works better with Kerr pints, which are shorter than the Ball jars.

Carol

o

• Posted by moogies z8, D/FW Texas (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 10, 12 at 15:17

Thanks for your replies - I've now learned that I mistakenly used BWB instead of canning instructions. I'm so glad to know that I can stack the jars on a rack and do 17 pints!

readinglady - thanks for the tip about the Kerr jars - good to know. :)

o

Another tip if you're planning to do a big batch and stack pints is to line up the pints and check that the heights match up. I have 50 years' worth of Ball and Kerr pints purchased in different batches over the years. Even within the same brand heights of jars will sometimes differ depending upon the manufacturing run.

I want to make sure the jars are level so I can put a rack over them and not have tipping or rocking.

Carol

o

Carol, I've been canning for years too, and I want to Thank you so much for that information about the jars not always being the same size! I have always wondered at this problem myself, and now I know I'm not crazy.
Never even dawned on me that, that was the reason! duh...

o

Although the manual does not specify, the 19 pints would have to be narrow-mouth. It's impossible to fit in 19 wide-mouth pints.

Carol

o

Carol, how many wide mouth jars should the 921 canner hold?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here