Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What types of fruit butters are safe to can?

Posted by jennieboyer 8 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 17, 12 at 11:16

Looking for some guidance on what fruit butters are safe to can - I know apple butter, but what about pumpkin butter, banana butter, plum butter, etc?

Also, what fruits do not make good fruit butter? I'm looking to play around a bit, but want to make certain I do so safely.

Would also welcome any favorite recipes!

TIA!

Jennie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What types of fruit butters are safe to can?

Pumpkin butter - no. In canning, since it is low acid, it is treated more as a low acid vegetable like a member of the squash family.

Any of the acidic fruits are fine but not bananas, not figs, not windfall apples, not mangoes, not melons or avacadoes, apricots are borderline, not papaya, etc. In those cases the safety would depend on the amount of added acid, not the fruit pH itself.

Apple Butter is by far the most common of course. There are some plum butter and pear butter recipes posted here too. I have seen some peach butter and prune butter recipes and a couple of mixed fruit butter recipes but never tried any of them. Personally I can't imagine making a citrus butter but some may do it.

The link below gives you all the various fruit pHs.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: USDA Foods pH

o

i would think citrus are too watery/juicy. just make jelly or marmalade with them.

o

Citrus make fabulous curds (for freezing).

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here