Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
veicken

Need tomato advice

veicken
10 years ago

Hello all, I am new to canning (this is my third year/harvest). Before I began my canning adventures I took a class from Chef Rosetta Constatino (cookbook author, Italian Chef extraordinaire) on canning your gardens fresh tomatoes. She had her very old, non English speaking Italian mother as her assistant. Anyways they taught the class and she had us score the tomatoes, blanch, shock in ice water, peel and seed and stuff into the sterilized jars. We then BWB for 45 minutes. So, that's how I've been doing it ever since (three years) with no problems. I just learned that citric acid should be added. I'm terrified now, and I just canned about 75 lbs of tomatoes in this way and now I'm terrified. I never even questioned her process because she is professional who has obviously been doing it this way for decades. Anyways is there anyway to salvage this batch of canned tomatoes? Can I just put the jars in my pressure canner and pressure can them as is? Please advise. I want to email her asking her about the process she teaches, but I have a feeling all she would say that's how she and her family have been doing it for years. Help :(

Comments (10)

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

Many generations didn't use the citric acid, but with the newer guidelines citric is added.

I don't know why she scored the tomatoes and then peeled, unless she uses paste tomatoes that might have tougher skins (you get tougher skins the longer the plant has produced).

I never used it until this year, and would not have worried about it. This year I realized that the guidelines had changed over the years.

I think it's one of those judgement calls.

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

PCing calls for the citric acid now so you're going to have to open the jars to add that. How long ago did you BWB them (that's a lot of tomatoes - you didn't do them all yesterday did you?)?

• readinglady
    10 years ago

Tomatoes are borderline acidity, depending upon the variety and growing conditions. So the citric acid is to allow for those particular circumstances where the acidity is lower. It's possible she had no problems because the variety and the long exposure to sun in Italy results in a higher-acidity tomato.

It really is your call, but frankly if I were using those tomatoes in well-cooked sauces, I would just use them as-is and make a note to include citric acid in all future batches.

The alternative is to decant all the tomatoes, clean and heat the jars, add citric acid and process per current instructions. That's assuming they were processed within the last 24 hours.

Your call.

Carol

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

No need to be terrified. :) I agree with Carol that as long as they are marked as "???" and will be used in well cooked dishes I would probably leave them as is. But it is your choice. If it has been longer than 24 hours since they were done you have no alternative. If less than 24 hours then they can be completly re-done as carol outlined above.

This is however a good example of how there are so-called classes in canning like the one you took and then there are actual classes in canning given by certified canning instructors. The acid policy change was made decades ago so this chef clearly has not remained current.

Dave

PS: the scoring recommendation I see often and it really does help. A small shallow slash just thru the skin or X on the blossom end makes the skin split much faster when dipped in the boiling water. It isn't required of course but it does speed up the process when doing lots of fruit. Same trick works on peaches and most anything soft food that requires dip peeling.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

If I remember, I'll try to scoring technique.

• veicken
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for the advice, yes it has been more than 24 hours. My question is, do I need to take any special precautions when handling the contents in the jar, besides cooking it for a long time, assuming they might be contaminated? So just pressure canning then as is wont work? Thanks so much, I have half a mind to email this lady and tell her what she's teaching is not only outdated but dangerous.

• veicken
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for the advice, yes it has been more than 24 hours. My question is, do I need to take any special precautions when handling the contents in the jar, besides cooking it for a long time, assuming they might be contaminated? This is so scary. So just pressure canning the jar as is wont work? Thanks so much, I have half a mind to email this lady and tell her what she's teaching is not only outdated but dangerous.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

As already mentioned many have processed without added acid for years as we didn't know better. Now we do. :)

Of greater concern to me that I just realized is that based on the info you provided she, and you subsequently, apparently didn't follow any of the approved methods for packing and processing times either. I was focused on the acid issue and missed that issue.

peel and seed and stuff into the sterilized jars. We then BWB for 45 minutes. No added liquid of any kind?

1. anything that will be processed for 10 mins or more does not require sterilized jars, just hot jars.

2. Crushed tomatoes with no added liquid calls for the tomatoes to be well heated in a pot before filling the jars and 35 or 45 mins processing depending on size of jar.

http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_03/tomato_crushed.html

3. Whole tomatoes packed in water calls for 35-45 mins processing time but she didn't have you add water.

http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_03/tomato_water_pack.html

4. Whole packed in tomato juice requires 85 mins processing.

http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_03/tomato_juice_pack.html

5. Whole packed raw without added liquid (which I think is what she had you do based on the info provided) also requires 85 mins processing.

http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_03/tomato_without_liquid.html

So yes, if I am correct about they way they were packed and processed then these jars have been well under-processed. They will need to be handled with care when opened to avoid any direct contact or contamination of utensils, countertops, hands, etc. until after they have been well cooked.

Many, myself included, would advise dumping them rather than take the risk. Others wouldn't be overly concerned. But you have been doing them this way for 2 or 3 years so the choice is yours.

Dave

• veicken
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, unbelievable. I didn't even think for a minute to double check her process. I'm horrified. Thanks so much for the advice. So NOT buying her cookbook!!!! ;)

• readinglady
    10 years ago

You're right, Dave. Like you I was focused on the acidity, not the processing method and time.

But my original advice stands assuming they're used for well-cooked sauces (like an Italian-American Sunday "gravy").

Carol

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living