Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blanching corn for freezing

Posted by lyndapaz 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 5, 11 at 11:47

Hi Everyone! Such a busy time. I was wondering if anyone has an opinion about freezing corn kernels. It seems that you can blanch on the cob or after removing. Blanching after removing seems like it would be quicker and easier. What are the pros and cons. Sorry, this is my second post, but the first didn't seem to show up. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blanching corn for freezing

Hi Lynda - I posted this on your other post of this question. Hope it helps.

Dave

It seems that it is possible to blanch either before or after removing from the cob.

That's only if making cream style for canning. Otherwise the instructions call for blanching the ears and THEN cutting it off the cob.

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Freezing Corn

o

I personally have always blanched on the cob, let it cool, and then froze it. I find it easier to cut the blanched corn off than fresh corn. It seems like there is less corn juice flying everywhere. My MIL had always cut it off fresh, then blanched, so its taken some convincing her to do it my way when she helps me.

But like so many things that I've done the way grandma taught me, I could be doing it wrong. I've ordered the So Easy to Preserve book so I can read up on all the most recent methods of freezing and canning.

o

Thanks for your help. And thanks Dave for putting up with my inability to use this site efficiently. Bookjunky, I think you're right about it being messier. I just thought the blanching part would take less time, ice, etc. Finished a couple dozen today. Thanks to the many suggestions here, without much trouble at all. Thanks all.

o

Not to throw a wrench in things but it was ironic that you asked about this today when I had just pulled a bag of corn on the cob out of the freezer. I had the same problem of time and asked the exact question a while back. I have blanched before but just didn't have the time to process all that at the time. These ears I pulled out were a bit soggy (so were the blanched) but delicious!!!! Granted, it has only been a few months but other than the slight sog, it didn't seem to alter the taste of the corn. There may be some issues for long-term but 2 months is a good indicator, I would think.
By all means follow the advice of some of our more experienced people here but I for one won't waste the time for on the cob blanching in the future. Lori

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here