Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jude31

Strawberry Apples

jude31
15 years ago

I just heard from a friend in NC who has gotten some strawberry apples that look and taste like strawberries. I have never seen or heard of them before. Okay, those of you wh live in New England and other places in the north, have you heard of them? There seem to be a lot of varieties there that we don't have in the south although he said these came from a very old tree.

Jude

Comments (12)

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

I have a unique apple called Redfree. Its got a reddish color inside, but tastes like an apple. Its quite disease and insect resistant, as is the other apple tree I have with white interior.

• jude31
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for answering. I knew from past posts that you had numerous fruits etc. that were new or foreign, if you will, to those of us in the south. I haven't seen the fruit myself but apparently it was rare enough that he contacted some apple growers about taking a cutting and grafting it. I found it most interesting. I will mention the Redfree to him and see if he is familiar with it.

Jude

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

Stark Bros. Nurseries carries an heirloom apple tree called Chenango Strawberry Apple, which their catalog says tastes like apple mixed with strawberry. It is described as yellow to green skinned with red stripes.

Bonnie

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    15 years ago

I had a bag of Strawberry Apples given to me many years ago by my DH's aunt in WV. They were fabulous, and I've always wanted to plant a tree. I haven't been able to find one exactly like that either. Unfortunately, the tree those apples came from was lost in a storm the next year. Boohoo.

• denninmi
    15 years ago

Chenango is the variety which has been sold around here as the 'Strawberry Apple,' although I never detected any strawberry flavor to it, just a blush of red on the yellow skin. It's a summer apple, more of a mid-August kind of thing, and only stores about a month, if memory serves.

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

RedFree and Williams Pride are two types I grow here. Both are resistant to fungal issues. Neither are strawberry flavored, but I think Stark has them, unfortunately not until 2010..

Here is a link that might be useful: Apple trees.

• kansasapple
    13 years ago

Most references to "strawberry" in apple names refers to shape only. I haven't found an apple yet (we have 550 varieties) that truly tastes like a strawberry - maybe a hint in the smell only. If anyone finds a true strawberry flavored apple please post the name!

• lpinkmountain
    13 years ago

I've seen them at markets, but yes, what was referred to as "Strawberry Apple" was a small, early (late summer) apple with a strawberry shape.

• david52 Zone 6
    13 years ago

My neighbor has a Strawberry Apple tree left from an orchard his grandfather planted, they are a mid-summer apple with a taste/after-taste somewhat like a strawberry - I've eaten several over the years, and depending on the stage of ripeness, it can be pretty strawberry-ish.

This area was once filled with orchards, and one of the local nurseries is now collecting scion wood from some of these ancient fruit trees, this one among them. Hopefully, in a few years, they'll be growing again around.

• hoggleg
    10 years ago

We found one lone (very old) tree, it is a beautiful apple with pink and white flesh and has a red and yellow striped skin, it has a very distinct strawberry flavor. we made apple butter that is the best i have ever tasted
    we will definitely be saving seeds for next spring.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

hogglegg, keep in mind that seeds MAY not be true to parent tree. Chances are good since it's an old tree, but there are times that the rootstock is a different variety and it may make the seeds not pure. I hope you can save the seeds and these trees. So many old varieties have died out.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting