Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clearjel is crazy stuff.

Posted by girlbug2 z9/10, Sunset zone 2 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 16, 10 at 12:20

Yesterday when I made apple pie filling, I substituted (non alcoholic) cider for apple juice in a pinch. The recipe calls to mix the juice, sugar and spices in a pot, bring to a "bubble" (? does that mean full boil or simmer?), and then add the clearjel (mixed in first with lemon juice). I had done this once before with apple juice and the jell turned out perfectly. Now, the clearjel/lemonjuice mix didn't seem to want to blend into the cider mixture, it clumped mostly and formed large jelled lumps. Is this because I used cider?

I tried to salvage the mix by straining out the clumps and reheating the batch, trying again with a smaller amount of clearjel mixture.Partial success, the syrup seemed thicker, semi-jelled, but not as thick as the first time I had made it. Strained out the clumps again and resigned myself to thinner pie filling.

Thoughts on what I did wrong?

btw, it tasted fabulous made with cider!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clearjel is crazy stuff.

Where did you get the recipe ? Mine says to mix with the sugar, then add the juice to the pot. You need to mix it with the sugar first. Otherwise it will do just as you said it did.

o

I always mix mine with sugar first too, or I get the lumps you describe. I buy it in bulk and have never seen any instructions for use, but learned quick that adding the plain powder to liquid caused problems.

I think you got lucky the first time.

o

Same here - mix with sugar first. If you are going to use it. I find it to be more trouble than it is worth so gave up using it.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here