Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valadelphia

Help me evaluate this ginger marmalade

veeta
11 years ago

I was looking for a pure ginger jam/sauce to can, and I came across this recipe on an old post. I know ginger is not acidic enough on its own, so how do I know if there is sufficient lemon in this recipe? thanks for any input!

Ginger Marmalade from Helen Witty's Fancy Pantry:

Ginger marmalade

1 - 1 1/2 lbs fresh ginger

6 cups water

4 cups sugar

1/2 cup lemon juice

pinch of salt

1 pouch liquid pectin

1. Peel ginger and grate. Do not use the center layer if it is very fibrous. She notes you can use the core to make Ginger Jelly - I have not tried that but do have the recipe if anyone wants it.) You need about 1 1/3 cups of grated ginger. The amount you get will depend on the age of the ginger.

2. Combine the grated ginger and 1 quart of water in a large pan, bring to the boil and boil 5 minutes. Drain, add fresh cold water and repeat 2 more times. Drain.

3. Combine grated ginger with 6 cups of water, bring to a boil, cover, lower heat and simmer until shreds are very tender and almost translucent, about 1 - 1 1/4 hour. Remove from heat.

4. Measure ginger and liquid. If there is more than3 cups spoon of surplus liquid. (She recommends mixing the extra liquid with sugar and club soda for "a pleasant refreshment while you make the marmalade." (I love Helen Witty)

5. Combine the measured ginger and liquid, the sugar, lemon juice and salt in a large pan. Bring to a hard boil, boil 1 minute, stir in the liquid pectin, return to a full rolling boil, boil 1 minute and remove from heat.

6. Let sit for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Ladle into clean, hot half pint jars, Seal with lids and bands, process 15 minutes in a boiling water bath.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz