Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Questions about Canning Pork and Beef

Posted by kriswrite zone 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 20, 12 at 12:28

A local store is having a good sale on pork chops (bone in) and beef steaks. But I notice the new Ball canning book says meat should be at least 1/2 in. thick for canning. The steak - and definitely the chops - are thinner. They are probably closer to 1/4 in. thick.

Can I still can them, or will they turn to mush?

Also, can I can the pork and add a bone to each jar? Or is it better to use the bones to make stock to can the pork in?

Thanks so much for any help here.

Kristina

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Questions about Canning Pork and Beef

Meats may be canned ground, in strips, cubes, or chunks. Your choice and the same processing time. You may can them hot or raw as long as you remove all the excess fat.

But unlike poultry there are no tested provisions for including most bones in meat canning as they usually qualify for the "remove all large bones" (to insure proper heat penetration) requirement.

Use the bones for stock.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Canning meats

o
RE: Questions about Canning Pork and Beef

That makes perfect sense about the bones. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here