Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

OT but need to brag...

2ajsmama
9 years ago

Since we don't have a Conversations page on this forum, but this is where I "know" the most people.

The next 3 weeks are going to be busy with awards ceremonies for DS. Next Tuesday night is the Scout Court of Honor, he has earned 2 more merit badges (I've lost count) but those completed the requirements for Life rank, which is 1 step below Eagle. He is a junior so he has another 20 months (give or take) until graduation (I believe it's HS graduation or age 18, whichever comes 1st) to complete his Eagle Scout requirements.

The following Tuesday he is being inducted into the National Honor Society. The Tuesday after that it's the French Honor Society.

I just had to share, being the proud mama of a not-just-smart, but overall great young man!

Comments (8)

• gmgdvm
    9 years ago

Congrats to your DS! And all the best to him on his quest for Eagle. (and not too shabby being inducted into NHS!!)

(from a fellow Scout mom who is very proud of her WebII DS....we visited a troop last week and he kind of schooled the older boys on camp cooking! :-) )

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks - I was surprised they ordered and received class rings the end of last year, he had the Eagle emblem put on his so I told him he couldn't wear the ring until he earned it. DH took it farther - told him that if he DIDN'T make Eagle by graduation he was going to SMASH the ring so he'd never be ABLE to wear it!

• gmgdvm
    9 years ago

ROFL! That sounds like something my DH and I would do to DS! Already thinking of dangling the driver's license in front of him as the "carrot" to finish his Eagle. (Planning ahead...he crosses over to Boy Scouts in Feb!)

• HotHabaneroLady
    9 years ago

Congrats ajsmama!! Of course you should brag a bit. I would too if I had a son like that. :)

Angie

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

Congrats! Those are some pretty awesome achievements.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    9 years ago

That's great news and fun to hear. Too much of the time any more we're hearing about kids problems and not their achievements....He sounds like a nice boy ;)

• bcskye
    9 years ago

Congrats to your son and to you for raising him. Our society needs to hear more about our young people who are accomplishing such goals and they deserve the praise. That's how it use to be in my younger days, the Dark Ages, and we had a lot of young men and women who went on to become great people. And I'm not talking fame, etc.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone. I don't say much about DS online, you mostly hear me griping about DD's picky eating or boasting about her blue ribbon for Candy Apple Jelly last year (she's entering the fair this weekend too, with Blueberry Lime and Pineapple Upside Downcake Jams).

But DS is very active in Scouts, and serves at the church dinners every month, hasn't been around much this summer to help me with market but last year was a great help, coming with me to market in summer to set up and tear down (he'd walk to the library though, not stay with me the whole 3 hours). He did pack the truck a few times this year, and last month when I got home each week he'd unpack the truck for me.

He spent 5 weeks away this summer, 1 as a camper, 1 as Counselor-in-Training, and a 3rd week invited back as unpaid counselor (but they fed him!) to sub for the college kid they fired from archery instructor position. So we think he'll be hired next summer ;-). Then 1 week at Youth Leadership camp (that was just the other side of the state) and another week hiking the Long Trail with DH, another leader, and 3 more scouts.

He is 5 years older than DD but is amazingly patient with her and she adores him, he even lets her into his room to use his laptop for her homework (and will help her with it). He's very quiet, I don't see him much even when he is home, he comes down for mealtimes and to watch Jeopardy, the rest of the time he is studying, reading, listening to music (he loves country, bluegrass, folk - like the kind you'd hear in the Museum of American History, sea chanties and Appalachian music - and "world" music) or playing guitar. But it's still going to be strange to just be the 3 of us when he leaves for college. How did that happen so quickly??