Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cornus Kousa Fruit recipes?

Posted by harvestingfilth 6-6B (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 25, 09 at 13:02

Does anybody have a recipe for Cornus Kousa fruit? I see a small discussion on the edible landscaping forum, but no recipes. My parents have two trees that are loaded with huge sweet fruit and I'd love to make jam, jelly or anything yummy with them.

Any ideas?
Thanks--Carrie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cornus Kousa Fruit recipes?

No recipe per se that I know of. Are you talking about something made with pectin, or just naturally thickened by cooking down with a lot of sugar?

However you do it, I'd throw a little lemon juice in there as well, it enhances pretty much anything.

o

I didn't think they were even edible! But if they are, they should be easily substituted in most fruit jelly/jam recipe. Anyone have an idea if they are acidic pH like most fruits or low-acid like figs? If not, the adding the lemon juice would definitely be a good idea.

Dave

o

I googled and found that the fruit are both edible and suitable for making wine. That said making jelly or anything else should be fine.

o

Definitely edible. I made a tiny sample (like a cup) of jam/sauce from the ones from my tree 2 years ago, just to see what it like. Just smushed them through a sieve to remove skin and seeds, and cooked it up with some sugar and squeeze of lemon in the microwave. It was fine, not too disimilar to the sauce from my Cornus maas, which tastes like a blend of sour cherry and cranberry.

They must be dead ripe, though, to be good. If they're not, they have both some astringency (tannins, I guess) and a sort of musky or skunky aftertaste.

I have no idea about the pH. I pretty much add lemon juice to EVERYTHING I make, jam/jelly/presevere/sauce wise, both as a preservative and a flavor ehnancer.

o
I did it this way

Definitely edible. I made a tiny sample (like a cup) of jam/sauce from the ones from my tree 2 years ago, just to see what it like. Just smushed them through a sieve to remove skin and seeds, and cooked it up with some sugar and squeeze of lemon in the microwave. It was fine, not too disimilar to the sauce from my Cornus maas, which tastes like a blend of sour cherry and cranberry.

They must be dead ripe, though, to be good. If they're not, they have both some astringency (tannins, I guess) and a sort of musky or skunky aftertaste.

I have no idea about the pH. I pretty much add lemon juice to EVERYTHING I make, jam/jelly/presevere/sauce wise, both as a preservative and a flavor ehnancer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here