Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deannie_gw

Canning Spaghetti Sauce using Canned Tomatoes

deannie
17 years ago

I want to can spaghetti sauce using canned tomatoes. My question is since I am using already canned tomatoes with citric acid already added to them do I need to add more to the spaghetti sauce that I will be canning? My recipe is 1lb canned tomatoes, 4T olive oil, 10 cloves garlic, 1/4 t pepper flakes and 1/4C fresh chopped basil.

Comments (10)

• readinglady
    17 years ago

Generally speaking, using canned tomatoes should not be a problem and more citric acid shouldn't be necessary. However, in this case, there are other factors that are bigger issues.

Could you tell us the source of the recipe? I don't remember seeing a meatless one with olive oil and all that garlic and basil that's been tested. Just looking at it superficially it presents risks because you have oil and a high level of low-acid ingredients for a mere pound of tomatoes.

Carol

• Linda_Lou
    17 years ago

Carol, I agree. I would truly leave out that oil. Yes, you would still add the bottled lemon juice since you are adding other ingredients. I think that much garlic is too much, also. This one has 20 lb. of tomatoes and only 8 cloves of garlic. Plus, only 1 T. of oil. Canning your own recipes is not suggested due to safety issues, it can put you at a risk for botulism. I would not can what you are telling us, but freeze it instead.
    I think it is best if you stick with the recipe from Ball Blue book that has basil in it if you wish to can one .

Basil-Garlic Tomato Sauce

Ingredients
    20 pounds tomatoes
    1 cup chopped onion
    8 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1/4 cup finely minced fresh basil
    Bottled lemon juice

Instructions
    Prepare Ball® or Kerr® jars and closures according to instructions found in Canning Basics.

Wash tomatoes; drain. Remove core and quarter tomatoes; set aside. Saute onion and garlic in olive oil until transparent. Add tomatoes. Simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Put tomato mixture through a food mill or strainer to remove seeds and peel. Combine tomato purée and basil in a large saucepot. Cook over medium-high heat until reduced by one-half, stirring to prevent sticking. Add 1 tablespoon bottled lemon juice to each pint jar. Carefully ladle hot sauce into hot jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Wipe rim and threads of jar with a clean damp cloth. Place lid on jar with sealing compound next to glass. Screw band down evenly and firmly just until a point of resistance is met-fingertip tight.

Process 35 minutes in a boiling-water canner.
    Yield: about 7 pints.

For altitude adjustment increase processing as indicated below:
    1,001-- 3,000 ft.....5 minutes
    3,001-- 6,000 ft...10 minutes
    6,001-- 8,000 ft...15 minutes
    8,001- 10,000 ft...20 minutes

Nutrition Information Per 1/2 Cup Serving:
    Calories 73
    Protein 3g
    Carbohydrate 15g
    Fat 1.5g
    Cholesterol 0mg
    Sodium 28mg
    Potassium 702mg

% USRDA:
    Protein 6%
    Vitamin A 21%
    Vitamin C 102%
    Thiamin 12%
    Riboflavin 9%
    Niacin 10%
    Calcium 2%
    Iron 8%

• readinglady
    17 years ago

You're right, Linda Lou. I was thinking only about citric acid for the tomatoes themselves, not any additional acid for the remaining ingredients.

Some other tested spaghetti sauce recipes use red wine vinegar, wine or other acids instead of the lemon juice.

Carol

• ksrogers
    17 years ago

Leave out the olive oil as its not recommended in home canning. As to acidity, using about 1/4 to 1/2 tespoon more citric will help to increase acidity if you plan to add onions, garlic, and peppers. Also, the basil should be left out, unless your just using a few fresh whole leaves. Usually Italian sauces also contain oregano which does can well.

• ardnek710
    17 years ago

I agree with leaving the oil out, but couldn't you pressure can it instead of BWB to overcome the low acid problem? Just use the longest processing time indicated for the ingredients you are using?

just wondering or am I not thinking about it correctly?
    kendra

• readinglady
    17 years ago

Generally you could do that but garlic doesn't can well. Tests on pressure-canned garlic at a time sufficient for safety revealed it lost most of its flavor. Tested sauce recipes make it possible to process safely for a lesser time, preserving the integrity and flavor of the individual ingredients.

Anyway, that's why there's no recommended processing time for garlic. Only freezing, pickling or drying are recommended.

Here's a helpful document from UC Davis on preserving garlic.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Garlic: Safe Methods to Preserve

• ksrogers
    17 years ago

If we wrote about pickled garlic, that would not be the same as the kind added to sauces. Pickled in vinegar, whole garlic cloves are very tasty. When I make canned tomatoes, most of the additional flavorings are added after the jar is opened and simmered a short time before serving.

• HU-684546540
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I successfully can Sauce I’ve made with canned plum tomatoes. Having made recipes using citric acid, lemon, and apple cider vinegar to lower acidity before water bath canning, I honestly have to say my best sauces with oodles of compliments is from Spaghetti Sauce I can containing apple cider vinegar along with Red Cooking Wine. Both lower the pH of your sauce. Wait at least 2 months and the flavors meld together beautifully. To ensure there is proper acidity I own a good pH meter, and test before canning. As far as the Olive oil goes, I mix my diced onions, pressed garlic, green pepper and basil in maybe one tablespoon of oil before adding to the sauce as it simmers to give It a touch of OO flavor. As far as garlic goes I put it through a garlic press, rather than dice, and it adds flavor to the sauce as my sauce simmers all night before canning. Maybe that’s why my canned sauce retains the flavor?

• digdirt2
    5 years ago

HU - correct me if I am wrong but it sounds as if you are making up your own recipe? And then relying on a pH meter to "test before canning"?

If so then please be aware that, per the guidelines, neither is considered safe to do. First because you could easily have a density issue that could invalidate processing times. At the very least it would need to be pressure canned.

And second, the pH meter, even if unlike most is totally accurate it is only telling you the pH at that moment. It does not compensate for the natural rise in pH that happens over time during shelf storage. Testing has proven that pH can rise as much as 1 full point over time.

It might not be safe to assume that any toxins are destroyed just because your sauce is heated after opening the jars.

Just something to consider.

Dave

• Eva Castaneda
    3 years ago

Just want to know if I use canned tomato sauce and sautéed onions with vegetable oil can I can it in the ball mason jar?